Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have friend who moved down to North Carolina a while ago. Turns out he lives only about an hour away from the tail of the dragon. I also have a friend who lives in Lexington, VA which is conveniently a good a halfway point. We all ride and have been planning a to make a trip to the dragon and we're finally going to do it. The thruxton is certainly not a touring bike and I've never done a long trip on her, so any suggestions for how to best pack on a small tent and sleeping bag would be great (probably can't leave the cowl cover on). Also, any suugestion on how to make a 6 hour ride on her easier would be cool too (I'll make the trip to Lexington 1 day and then ride down the blue ridge parkway to NC with my buddy the next). I have a Ogio no drag back pack for clothes and what not. Also any suggestions on other important things to bring, metric allen wrench set, maybe some chain grease, etc. I'm crazy excited, but have a feeling getting down there is going to be an endurance challenge.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I used a Renntec rack recently for a long trip - brought no tools.

If you've got a back pack, bungee the tent, etc. well to the seat and off you go!

Take a short break every hour or so. That's what I do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Buy a set of soft bags to throw over the seat. I have used the Cortech Sport saddlebags and TriBag Tailbag on my BMW for thousands of miles and they are awesome! I haven't fit them on the Thrux for a ride yet, but they will fit good.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a Thruxton that I am going to be taking from NC to CA and back.

My setup:
-Cortech Sport Pannier Bags (I have used with and without cowl)
-Cortech Sport Tail Pack.
-Cortech Magnetic Tank Bag
-Chop Shop Backpack

I have a multitool from my mountain biking days (Alien Tool) that I take, some wrenches, chain kit (wax/rags/tool)

When are you planning to come down this way?
I don't know what route you have planned, but there are some tasty roads from Lexington to points SW.

-simpson
Hickory, NC

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thats a long trip on a Thruxton, I know after 1 hr going over 70mph, im uncomfortable from the vibes and tough seat/shocks. A handlebar change too could ease the wrist, hand and back discomfort

Maybe a seat and rear shock upgrade as well as the soft luggage as others have suggested. rest a lot on the way, bring some alleve as its often said on this forum and hope for the best.

Good luck and stay safe

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Bring tools required for chain adjustment and chain lube and your good to go..... and good rain gear. If you need rain gear you might want to look for a set of Frog Togs, not pretty but a good value.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Rode mine from Denver to Las Vegas and back mid-May. Aspirin helped quite a bit. I actually left my cowl on. I used the Cortech bags then put a microfiber cloth to cover the cowl, then a duffel bag held on with a cargo net.

As for fatigue, just make frequent stops. Even 2 minutes to get off the bike makes a huge difference.

Buy a set of soft bags to throw over the seat. I have used the Cortech Sport saddlebags and TriBag Tailbag on my BMW for thousands of miles and they are awesome! I haven't fit them on the Thrux for a ride yet, but they will fit good.
Jeremell, how do you keep these bags from rubbing on the shocks? The neoprene guard didn't want to stay put.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Chewbaca

How did the work out with the bag on the seat cowl? I was thinking about doing the same thing. I am headed on a 2 and 1/2 hour ride this weekend and I will need enough gear for 4 days (basically just clothes). I was thinking of getting a cargo net and strapping a gym bag down with it, but I wasn't sure if it would be too much weight on the seat cowl or not and if it would stay in place at 80mph speeds.

·
Registered
562 Posts
For me, it worked out great! It was a gym bag that I used, but he Cortech bags provided a pretty wide base for that gym bag. So, with the saddles and the gym bag, it worked great! I don't think I would have tried it without the cortechs though.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well the longest I have spent on a Thruxton is about 14 hours from Deals Gap to Orlando nonstop. I blew through downtown Atlanta doing about 80 in mid day traffic... that was fun. I have about gone evrywhere on my bike for long hauls.

Look at Oxford Humpbacks for luggage.
Go buy a Throttle Rocker!!
Keep your pillion pegs down as you will want move you feet around.
You can roll your jacket or something close in size and wrap it around the gauges just above the headlamp, this will provide some wind deflection.
Take some sort of painkillers with you too... you will need them at the end of the day.

2 things are going to kill you when touring on a Thrux, posture & wind. Make yourself as comfortable as you can and if you can dodge the wind if your running hard for a extended periods.

Last tid bit I can give you is take you time gassing up which will be about every hour. Drink lots of fluids and throw some good snacks in the tank bag. This will help with the wear and tear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I'm just curious, how do the Cortech Sport bags do without the pannier guards?

·
Registered
53 Posts
So, I have friend who moved down to North Carolina a while ago. Turns out he lives only about an hour away from the tail of the dragon. I also have a friend who lives in Lexington, VA which is conveniently a good a halfway point. We all ride and have been planning a to make a trip to the dragon and we're finally going to do it. The thruxton is certainly not a touring bike and I've never done a long trip on her, so any suggestions for how to best pack on a small tent and sleeping bag would be great (probably can't leave the cowl cover on). Also, any suugestion on how to make a 6 hour ride on her easier would be cool too (I'll make the trip to Lexington 1 day and then ride down the blue ridge parkway to NC with my buddy the next). I have a Ogio no drag back pack for clothes and what not. Also any suggestions on other important things to bring, metric allen wrench set, maybe some chain grease, etc. I'm crazy excited, but have a feeling getting down there is going to be an endurance challenge.
Hey, I live in Forest Hill MD and have ridden to NC before. First time it wasnt so great. Had to take many breaks because i was not used to the neck pain and wrists hurting. The second time was easy, perfect ride. I own a Thruxton and to be honest i wouldnt want to trade it for any other bike for a trip like that. Absolute blast.

Cheers

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi
Last spring i rode from Tahoe to vegas and back via Death valley. Around 1300 miles.
I plan on doing it again next year and will probably go for the cortech sport bags, they seem to be the best fit for the Thruxton.
As far as distance and comfort wise i found when i had to stop to fill up that was just about right for a nice stretch. I find the ride position fine, i am about 6 feet tall and the reach is not bad. I have tank pads which help me a lot to take the pressure off the wrists. Also i found that it took a little time to settle in to a relaxed feel. I like you was so excited to ride i was a bit tensed up at the begining.
I find the only main restriction on this bike is carrying a passenger for long rides. But then again some would see that as a benefit:)
Take lots of pix, ride safe and most of all, enjoy yourself.
Cheers John.

·
Registered
720 Posts
No one seems to have mentioned a throttle lock. In terms of comfort, I think it had the biggest impact of all for me. As Simpson mentioned, with a well packed tank bag, you can remove first one hand and, with the throttle locked, then the other while resting your chest on the bag. This keeps your right hand from being permanently affixed to the throttle and allows the free hand to be propped up on the tank, your knee, the cam covers if cold, etc. For installation click on
http://artshobbyprojects.com/throttlelockpage.htm

I use Nelson Rigg soft bags but they are much the same as those offered by Cortech, and like Cortech have provisions for snaps to mount a tail bag. I didn’t have any problems with the straps damaging the rear cowl but didn’t mount anything on the tail other than the straps for the saddlebags. The saddle bags do bear on the upper shock mounts and do show wear on the soft protector material of the bags but no marks on the shocks. If I use them more I may have to provide chaffing pads for the bags in that location.
Click here for more on the saddle bags.
http://artshobbyprojects.com/saddlebagpage.htm

The farthest that I have been was from Orlando to Birmingham and back, I broke the trip up into two days. It was a great trip but the Interstate part was harder than the back roads. You will be stopping every 100 or so miles for gas so just extent your fuel breaks for a couple of more minutes and make separate stops for food, you should be fine. Pictures from the road can be seen at
http://artshobbyprojects.com/thruxtonpage2.htm

Good luck on your trip,
Art.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
No one seems to have mentioned a throttle lock.
I think the Throttle Rocker was mentioned though. A great alternative. I used a throttle lock on my Sprint for a while, but wanted it off when I got to the twisties - it got in the way. I've learned to use the Throttle Rocker to apply throttle while counter steering and covering the brake - works pretty darn well for that!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used the Cortech set up with out the guards and have had no problems with them. Just make sure you check the velcro straps every morning before you start riding. they seem to stretch a little when they're new. Going to Canada in April with the same setup.

In 2012 taking a cross country trip. Shipping bikes to Cal. And riding back to Pa. Thinking about higher clip ons, small screen, change the front sprocket, and a gel seat. Or was thinking, get a Sprint ST or the Honda NT700V. The trick is to be able to keep the Thruxton.:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
In 2012 taking a cross country trip. Shipping bikes to Cal. And riding back to Pa. Thinking about higher clip ons, small screen, change the front sprocket, and a gel seat. Or was thinking, get a Sprint ST or the Honda NT700V. The trick is to be able to keep the Thruxton.:D
Heck, if you get the Sprint, might as well ride out too - its only a couple of thousand miles.... :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
No one seems to have mentioned a throttle lock.
what is the little red light mounted on your mirror mount for? Curiosity is killing me.

On Topic:
I use the Cortech Sport bags and tail bag, the Tail bag connects to them and it does a good job of keeping them out of the wheel well and away from the shocks. I put them on without the cowl because I can scoot them further back on the seat and give me more room to adjust my butt position in the saddle, which makes travel much more comfortable.

The wife and I are talking about doing some more long-distance trips and I think I'd then strap a tent bag on top of everything, which I also feel would be just fine, though the bags do hold a LOT of stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts