Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I will be travelling around 2000 miles in 4 Days and wanted to know if anyone has any advice on what extras I should add to the tool kit? or is there anything I should be aware of / advice for on the road.
The Bike is 2003 Sprint ST I was looking for anything Bike specific, I will be taking the fixaflat, chain lube, AAA membership etc - but is there anything else I should consider - thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
AAA will cover motorcycles, but you have to buy it in addition to the regular tow service. I believe it's around $28/yr for 3 tows. Make sure you have the extra coverage before you go.

I'd also suggest you keep a bottle of water with you. Either for you or the bike depending on who may need it.

A quart of oil may be good, too. It's kinda a pain to look for a bike shop in a new area to get the right kind of oil if you need it. Of course, if you've been using regular car oil then it's not so much an issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As you are riding an 03 St you should have no problems! It is probably wise to include some oil for engine top up if required plus water for the header tank. A can of chain lube is essential if you do not have an automatic chain oiler. I usually include a puncture repair kit as it save time waitng for rescue truck. Also in my spares kit are some fuses clutch cable and correct sized spanners to remove either of the wheels. The list could go on,but with these items not much space is required. Hope this helps in your planning. Have a great time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the advice on the AAA, Oil, clutch fuses etc.

Excellent to know this forum has such great members - thanks a lot guys I will post pictures when I get back - Ha Ha - 4 days away from the wife and kids - ahhhh bliss :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Two items that I always include are a cell phone and a first aid kit. It looks like you'll be doing about 500 miles per day. I have found that a couple of advil before I set off and a couple more around lunch time helps to prevent any of the aches and pains that come with longish days in the sadlle. 'course I may be a little older than you are.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Many shops have a plastic tab that
clips on to your throttle grip, it acts
as a poor mans cruise control.

just the weight of your palm holds
the throttle open, great relief for your
hand.

good for highway, gets in the way
in the twisties, but that whats great,
it pops right off.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Take a read of my trip report... you won;t use all of the info, but much of it will apply. I did 3 600+ mile days on my trip and I would say that anything over 300 starts to really wear on you.

stop and get off every hour for 5-10 minutes and stretch and walk and/or lie down to refresh briefly.

Keep well hydrated. 500 miles of wind will suck lots of moisture from you and you won't be able to tell.

Keep the suns position in mind... if you will be running extended east/west stretches you might need better sunglasses.

Shift positions frequently.

Practice (carefully) riding standing up for brief periods. It can really help get blood back into the legs and butt.

Get an ORing to use as a cheapo cruise control. On the '03 Sprint St , this works like a charm. Buy two in case you loose or break one... mine was less than a buck...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Small bright flashlight...extra fuses. chain lube. Energy bar. Lots of H2O. Depending on route....some kind of personal protection device.
Emergency stash of $20.00 bills on your person.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'd recommend a Throttlemeister or similar cruise control (Break Away, etc.). A bit spendy at around $135 for the TM, but relaxing your right hand occasionally made a tremedous help during my last ride with it compared to one without. To be able to rest your hand on the throttle vs. a constant grip made a huge difference.

I also have the Throttle Rocker ($10) which is a great tool, but it still keeps your hand on the throttle full time. It is better than not having it though and a great investment.

·
Registered
472 Posts
sheepskin seat cover, camel bak for water, and ear plugs.

stop before you have to and enjoy the ride

·
Registered
70 Posts
On 2007-02-20 20:26, BMWK100 wrote:
A pistol. Reading materials. Camera. Stash a spare key. Dealer locator. Rain suit. That's a good start.
Re: the spare key -- my riding buddy's advice was to put one on a lanyard around my neck. This way I may lose my key but I'll never be without one.

Don't forget good maps. AAA's "Plus" membership covers motorcycles -- costs about $100/year where I live.

--Sparty

·
Registered
349 Posts
On 2007-02-20 14:55, JasonS wrote:

Get an ORing to use as a cheapo cruise control. On the '03 Sprint St , this works like a charm. Buy two in case you loose or break one... mine was less than a buck...
+1

I used the ORing last summer on my way down to Laguna Seca. Works awesome will supper slabbing it. However it will destroy your wrists on the twisties if you dont remove it. I suffered that brain fart and paid dearly for it later in the day. :eek:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I picked up a couple of these for long trips. Especially in some parts of the western US, you can go quite a ways between gas stations, and I'm not too comfortable with the amount of warning I get when the low fuel light comes on. I figure two 33 oz bottles should be enough to get me another 20 miles or so...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sounds like you have most things covered. However a tall leggy blonde on the back would help you recover at night and recharge your batteries for the next day.
:-D :-D

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Very minor item 'cos i think everyone has it well covered.

But I carry a very hi quality tyre pressure guage with me and check 'em every day before I set out after lubing the chain.

Servo pressure guages are often out of wack.

Good luck.

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am surprised at Gavb NOT strongly recommend a good set of wet weather gear, after our recent jaunt to Tasmania. A long legged blonde would not be much use after your soaked leathers has chaffed our nether region for a few hours.

Wet weather gears is amust, don't believe the weather forecast.

Would you agree Gav :knkknk:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts