Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

First post:D I am looking to buy a Striple non "R", and am wondering how comfortable is the bike for 300 super slab miles? Its been a while since I have ridden a naked bike (my bikes have had full faring for the past 8 years.)

Now I am not buying this bike because I do a lot of touring ( I know the Tiger would be great for that), but a few times a year I take some nice trips on the super slab to Races or south for vacations. 90% of the time my bike is used for commuting, recreation and track riding.

My current bike is Ninja 650R which has to go (I bought it because the price was a steal, but it does nothing for me). It pretty comfy, nice upright position. But it doesn't do it for me; no character.

So back to the question, how is the Striple on the highway? Do you get blasted around?

Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
You will love the Striple (R).

I would recommend the fly-screen and visor. I did a great deal to get me out of the wind on my standard Striple.

I've ridden about 350 in one day. It wasn't too bad. My wrists were pretty sore and my butt was getting pretty close.

I would recommend some tank-grips (I got mine from Tec-Specs) as they did TONS to get the pressure off my wrists because my thighs were no longer sliding around on the tank and I could use them to prop my self up more.

The stock seat on the Striple is crap IMO (The R has a $430 "stitched" gel seat. How do I know its $430? Saturday I tried getting a dealer to sell me one for the regular gel seat price; they wouldn't do it) and I’ve ordered a gel seat to hopefully make the regular commuting and the long days more comfortable.

I also found the stock grips too small for my big ol’ hands so I have also replaced them with some gel units that did a lot to add in comfort on all trips.

Hope you get the Striple as I think you will like it WAY more than your Ninja. It loves to air out the front tire in 1st and 2nd gears.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Aaron,

I think I am going to get the non "R" and mod it as I go. From all that I have read the difference between them are Adjustable Suspension, Gel Seat, Color, Brakes (maybe) and minor geometry adjustments (I say minor because, in the reviews I have read they could not tell the difference in geometry, and those guys are way better riders than I).

If I ever get to the level that I can out ride the suspension, I will upgrade it aftermarket or, buy another bike. Until them I think the Standard Striple will be a blast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The price difference compared to the upgrades you get from the Non to the R is worth it's weight in gold.
If I was to buy the R, I would be adding the same stuff, ie: nose, and windscreen, tank bag, exhaust, and frame sliders. I am not buying the non R with the intentions of upgrading the suspension in the near future. The probability of me out riding the suspension in the non R is slim to none.

So the $1000 saved from the R would cover the farkles I will be adding.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The adjustable suspension is nice, but not really needed. The bike is a little under-sprung for heavy guys like me so i'll be taking my fork oil weight up a little bit to help remedy some things along with the extreme brake dive the bike has.

The brakes on the "R" are a little better as they're radialy mounted and have a little more power/force.

I paid right under 10K for my Striple. Add in the cost of the gel seat, belly pan, fly-screen and visor and seat cowl I'm almost $1,000 into mods and haven't done exhaust or anything yet.

To change to better suspension and brakes by going to Daytona forks will cost your around $1,200 for the forks and brakes alone. Then you need the "R" mirros, brake line and handels so you can attach the master cylinder.

A good rear shock is something around $800 on up.

So the extra cost of the "R" seems really worth it if hard riding is up your alley....If not, get the regular and spend the savings on over-priced plastic stuff! LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
i bought a non R from a member here who lived on long island, i live in atlanta, i flew to NY and he picked me up from the airport and took me to his house, then i rode it back to atlanta (952 miles) last november thru snow storms and 30 degree temps, im glad it had the fly screen, im 6 foot and 330lbs :D

it really woznt too bad i have proper gear and a tank bag with sat nav and sat radio (altho that packed up before i got really got started) i got cold a couple of times but ive been colder my real suprise woz just how good the little 675 actually woz, i really enjoyed those exits on the interstate that go around an back up i came off just for the hell of it many times!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
how did the bike do with the extended highway riding, I keep hearing that the revs are really high on the highway. Lookin to buy an R in a few months and keep my bike now as it is really nice for cruising.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've put 19k on my bike so far, and two round trips that stand out for me are my trip from El Paso, TX to Clovis, CA which was roughly 1,075 miles. My only other long trip was from El Paso, TX to Quitman, TX which was about 750 miles.

I didn't enjoy the experience at all. My standard 08 St3 has stiff suspension for me. What I can comment positively on is the bikes performance which was phenominal. After 19,000 miles I still haven't purchased a wind screen and I think if I had one it would have dramatically improved those two trips. Unfortunately, I have a BMW (car) that comes first so my desire to get a wind screen constantly gets pushed back with every repair or upgrade done to the other.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try some Hand Guards

I fitted the screen and this makes quite a difference. Planning visits to Wales and Southern Europe next year and expect to get off the Autoroutes asap. Compared to my Sprint, it is actually quieter !

I decided to fit some Acerbis hand guards to keep my hands warm. Works well.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
how did the bike do with the extended highway riding, I keep hearing that the revs are really high on the highway. Lookin to buy an R in a few months and keep my bike now as it is really nice for cruising.
It will depend on your riding style, and the roads you ride.
I did over 5,000 kms total in 12 days in September, from Ottawa Ontario down to Georgia and back. Meandered almost exclusively on back roads down to Two Wheels Only campground in GA, and back up to Willville (motorcycle) Campground Virginia. The STripleR was great one those tight twisty roads. I carried camping gear (Ventura Rack System, 80 liters capacity), but no cookware.

From there I did 1,300 kms on the slab to get home ahead of rain (no front fender due to deer collision on Blue Ridge Parkway.) I did that at between 110 to 120 kph (68 - 75 mph.)
No problems for revs, but the wind combined with boredom was a factor (although I was oversensitive due to damaged shoulder ligaments.)

Greg.

·
Registered
40 Posts
comfort

first of all ur - hurts because the stock seat sucks and pushes u into the tank so ur wrists hurt keeping u off the tank the r seat is not a gel seat witch is not worth getting witch should go for about 230.00 if u buy a corbin seat u can ride all day in comfort with no - or wrist pain

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've done full-day rides on the standard model with no problems. Gotta get off and refuel every 130-150 miles anyway, that's a great opportunity to walk a few feet, stretch a bit, go pee, whatever. It's important to "adjust" periodically in the seat while riding anyway, otherwise the nads get a little uncomfortable.
I've seen quite a few folks say that the Corbin seat is not that good anymore, at least when it comes to sportbikes. Sargeant is supposedly stepping up to the plate, perhaps they will score. My only concern with aftermarket seating is that I do not want to raise the seat height, I like both feet to touch the ground, flat-foot. Seen too many people fall over trying to tip-toe while at an inclined/declined stop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've done 560km (350 miles) in about 7 hours including a meal and a bit of wandering around in the middle. The trip was 280km in either direction and the only thing that was sore when I got off the bike at the end of the day was my throttle hand from being in one position for two hours, 240km, non stop on the return trip. What was really nice was not being sore at all that night or the next day.

I don't have a fly screen and I have no problems with wind. A bit of wind on a long ride will hold your torso up a bit and take some of the weight off your arms.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've just entered for the 2010 NZ Grand Challenge 1000 miles in 24 hours ride:(. It starts between 3pm and 4pm on a Saturday and the route is mainly twisty backroads with checkpoints to make sure you don't cheat!

I've done it 4 times previously on my Blackbird but got to wondering how it would be on my T3!! Maybe a bit of bubble wrap on the seat or a sheepskin to improve the comfort. My Barracuda screen is surprisingly effective.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The whole flyscreen/visor vs pure naked fascinates me. I had a Ninja 650R before the Striple and I found my head getting buffeted around a lot. I chalk this up to the windscreen dumping turbulent air right on my head. I was amazed at how little buffeting occurs with a naked bike. I think the windscreen will keep some wind off your torso, but if it puts those vortices at your helmet level, your head will get knocked around a lot.

And I can confirm that "leaning on the wind" at highway speeds takes a noticeable amount of pressure off your arms and wrists.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Actually I found my Striple surprisingly stable on the highway even in strong crosswinds. It will cruise as long as you want at high speeds. There is a slight tingle through the bars at higher revs but I don't find it bothersome. The stock seat sucks for longer rides (all stock sporting bike seats suck) and I highly recommend a Sargent seat which is shaped much better and looks great. You may find a set of 1 inch higher handlebar risers (Rizoma) are more comfortable (check the brake line though). Still this is a sporting bike so stopping every hour or so for a stretch is a good idea. I think you will be hard pressed to find a more fun bike than the Street or Speed Triples. - Wayne :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
My vanilla Striple is definitely more quiet regarding helmet noise compared to my Sprint. Nice clean airstream vs. the windscreen buffet hitting me at neck/chin level. The stock seat starts bothering me after 30 miles, it's too soft. Am going the Sargent route later this year. My wife rode her Striple 3600 miles on our vacation last year with me on my Sprint. One of those days was over 500 miles! She did very well. Like mentioned before, the wind on the upper torso really takes pressure off the hands and wrists at hiway speeds. The Striple doesn't have an RPM issue at all doing 70-90mph continuously. It thrives on it. It REALLY loves the twisties!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Longest trip I've done yet is 200 miles - I haven't had it long - but it seems fine for extended riding at motorway speeds. No worse than any of my other bikes and better than a lot of them. Seat is fine - really comfortable - and the riding position is OK, but like any naked, the flyscreen and a windscreen - I've got the Powerbronze light screen - take just enough of the wind pressure off to keep it comfortable. No significant buffeting, but I suppose it depends on what you're used to. To be fair, the seat did need a couple of thousand miles of riding deliberately sitting well back before it started to conform to the shape of my arse.

To ride without any screen I think I'd want a slightly lower bar to make leaning into the wind easier. I don't expect any problems when I have 500 - 600 mile days to ride.

VanIsla - the MRA screen transformed the Ninja650.

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts