Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I am almost a year away from this, but I am pretty excited about it.

One of my old school buddies is emigrating from England to Canada, eh, to get married. He wants me there to be an usher / groomsman (choose you're appropriate regional term).

This will be next september - so I am strongly considering planning a bike ride around it. Head out from Minneapolis, around various great lakes, through canada and back again.

What do you think? Any recommendations of route? The wedding is in Richmond Hill, Ontario. If I plan for it now I can get plenty o' time off work, and rather than rush it, get some really good riding in. Give myself a week or longer to do it.

Then - if I plan it right, I can put my suit on, and show up on the bike, and peel off my riding gear to reveal my suited self underneath - like James Bond does when he climbs out of scuba gear to reveal a tuxedo underneath! :D

Anyway - suggestions of routes - things to see on the way - places to avoid and so on are all welcomed!

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Passport?

Hey Prop,

Most likely, as I see you were (and probably still are) a citizen of the Crown, you have a passport. If you are a citizen of the colonies now, make sure you get a passport or renew it - required now to re-enter.

I've not tested an actual border crossing lately, but I do beleive this went into effect a few years ago.

Don't know which way you're going -- east or west (guessing west?), if you make it far enough south on your way home for a warm one, I'll fill your pint with some decent ales I make that remind me of my days in Felixstowe/Ipswich/Woodbridge.

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah - good point. I'm actually still subject to Queen Liz's whims (although she stopped inviting me to garden parties ages ago), and just renewed my passport this year. It costs a bleedin' fortune to renew a UK passport if you're living abroad - 250 bucks. Bloody rip off.

A quick check of border requirements prior to heading out is a good idea, but with my passport and green card I should be allright.

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a pretty cool site with some interesting ideas - thanks for the heads up!

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
No problem......Let me know what route you decide on. I was looking at the distance from Waterville Maine to Anchorage Alaska...4,800 miles. I thought that would be a heck of a round trip. :eek:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
6,500 miles round the Lakes. Two weeks of leisurely riding at 500 miles a day...:eek:. You'd see a lot of gas stations, that's for sure! It'd be the kind of thing I'd like to do one day, although I think I'd take at least a month to do it.

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm not planning on circling all the lakes - that trip is for another time. Maybe south of Superior, north of the next two - uh - Michigan and Huron. That looks feasible. Would make it a good distance, but not excessive for the time available.

Some good general sightseeing I hope!

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the kind of info I need Haggis. Do you mean north of superior? Is it similarly desolate north of Huron and Michigan? Maybe I should stay stateside until I'm further east.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have to disagree with Haggis95. I have taken the northern route around Lake Superior, never had a problem finding fuel and we filled up every 100-120 miles.

The Canadian side is beautiful and well worth the trip.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts