Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have LoJack installed on their Sprint?

After having the last bike stolen from right in front of the house, I'm considering getting something that should help me get the bike back if it's stolen again. (Ok, always in the garage from here on out!)

Curious about what other folks are doing. I did do a search on the LoJack and nothing came up. I did read about some of the other options, but LoJack is advertising great things...

·
Registered
466 Posts
For our non-US friends, the LoJack is a vehicle locator system. Not an alarm or immobilizer. Theoretically the local authorities can locate your stolen vehicle and recover it intact (gps technology) Been working well on cars here for years.

To answer the question, Lojack for bikes is only available in a few areas at the moment (boston and Dallas I believe) After talking to a lojack rep, they are rolling it out slowly. Sadly they are only offering the installation to brand new bikes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm... the LoJack site shows the Freehold, NJ Honda/Triumph dealer does installs. I'm going to call them today to see what's up...

Cuz I know the cops in Philly can track LoJack.

Thanks for adding the info bit for our non-US friends too.

[ This message was edited by: JWats01 on 2007-01-11 09:19 ]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, Freeman Honda/Triumph will install on a used bike with no issue. It's $595 for the LoJack unit and $133.50 for the install.

I'm def gonna get one on the next bike.

LoJack link

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Is there a monthly fee for lo-jack? Is there a fee to locate your vehicle once it has been stolen?

Be careful of hidden fees.

--Kory

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was my bad! I did title the post "LoJack alarm?" :)

chefjpd is correct, however, it really isn't an alarm, but a vehicle locator system.

LoJack has supplied the police with locators in many cities, not just Boston and Dallas. I know for sure Philadelphia has had them for several years now. You can do a search on their site to see where they can be installed.

I recall reading their recovery success rate is around 94% for cars. That may be because most cars here in the US at least, are stolen, then parked in a cool down spot for a couple days. So, the police actually activate the LoJack locator once you call in the theft report. Now, I am no expert, the above is based on what I've read in the news, not just on LoJack's site :) Not sure how high their success rate is with motorcycles, but I like the idea that as soon as you know the bike is gone, the cops can start looking for it. As opposed to not having LoJack, when you can pretty much kiss your bike goodbye as just another stat.

I'm a little conflicted tho. The value of the bike is around $4500. (That's about what I'm planning on spending on a replacement Sprint ST) Should I spend $728.50 to potentially protect it? I'm only gonna pay ~$500 for insurance yearly. (Altho insurance on accessories really sucked last time - I got about 10 cents on the dollar!) Do I need both? I do like the idea of prolly getting the bike back, tho.

Thanks for eveyone's thoughts.

James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts