Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those out there with a 2005 or 2006 Sprint- did the locks/keys for your Triumph hard bags come with the bike, or were they shipped separately with the hard bags when they finally arrived?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Chip,

The locksets are supposed to come with the bike... keyed the same as the ignition. Mine, however, did not... for whatever reason. When the bags came in, there were locksets with them. I assume the dealer had to order them separately since they should have been with the bike. No big deal other than the fact that they don't match the ignition so I need two different keys for the machine.

Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks- found 'em just where you said. It continues to amaze me how little the dealers know about their bikes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chip,
Don't feel bad, my dealer thought the bikes didn't even come with an owner's manuel 'till I opend the compartment an lo and behold there's the manuel and tool kit(sic)

·
Registered
21 Posts
New reply to old thread-- having same problem

I bought a leftover '07 Sprint with side bags. the dealer installed them, sent me out the door. said nothing about any "third" lock set stored on the bike. Never occurred to me to ask since there was no need.

Bought the trunk. showed up with no lock set. dealer said it should be on the biike. Of course it was not. nowhere to be found. Not in the fairing compartment with the tools. They are making good on it by ordering me three new locksets. So I can use one on the new top box and reinstall the locks on the two side bags.

What I'd like to do is borrow one of the locksets from a side bag to finish the installation of the top box.

Anyone know how to get the lockset out of the pannier to reinstall in the top box?

:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Surely someone has removed a lock cylinder from a pannier?

Surely someone has removed a lock cylinder from a pannier?

It's a simple question that no amount of searching appears to answer.

thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's one (minor) thing I really dislike about my 2003 ST, the hard bags aren't / can't be keyed to the ignition. Seems pretty straightforward to have everything keyed together, like on my 2003 BMW. I can't believe it took Triumph that long to figure such a simple concept out. That being said when my BMW was delivered (by jockey, not the salesman who broke his leg 2 days before) he didn't know how to remove the seat cowl / plate.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
FirSTeve, if I understand you correctly, you have 2 panniers that came with your bike and have locks that are matched with the ignition key. The dealer is ordering 3 lock sets (can't order 1 or you need all 3?), of which 1 will go on the top box.

If this is correct, then you only need to wait until the lock sets come in and take one to a locksmith to change them over to work with your ignition key. Then everything matches.

It sounds to me, however, like you want to use the top box right now without waiting for the new lock sets to come in, hence the "borrowing" from the panniers. If this so, I would recommend you consider what Fullchat said about removal being a drastic measure, and wait for the replacement.

IMHO, a lot of bikes on this forum have been screwed up because someone was "in a hurry", only to have to do it again the correct way, sometimes at great expense.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
For those out there with a 2005 or 2006 Sprint- did the locks/keys for your Triumph hard bags come with the bike, or were they shipped separately with the hard bags when they finally arrived?
Came with the bike and are in the little jockey box on the right hand side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks

Thanks Walt and Fullchat. Much appreciated. Walt, you are correct on all. And after reading Fullchat's response I came to the same conclusion. I'll sit tight until the spare lockset arrives and deal with repinning that at a locksmith if possible.

The side cases that came wtih my '07-1050 (as did my following purchase of the top box) all arrive without lock sets in anticipation of them typically being shipped on board the bike in that lockable storage compartment in the fairing. The dealer used the first two for the side panniers. The third was not to be found.

My dealer tried to order a replacement under warranty but Triumph would not go for it. So they ordered a full set of three at no charge to me. But it's now been three weeks and I'm still waiting with a locked top box with no lock cylinder and a 'pretty' sliding rack mounted on my tail.

(I should add that the bike looks quite sweet when all the luggage garbage and rear grab rail is stripped-- but that's why I'm holding on to my naked monster). ;)

FirSTeve, if I understand you correctly, you have 2 panniers that came with your bike and have locks that are matched with the ignition key. The dealer is ordering 3 lock sets (can't order 1 or you need all 3?), of which 1 will go on the top box.

If this is correct, then you only need to wait until the lock sets come in and take one to a locksmith to change them over to work with your ignition key. Then everything matches.

It sounds to me, however, like you want to use the top box right now without waiting for the new lock sets to come in, hence the "borrowing" from the panniers. If this so, I would recommend you consider what Fullchat said about removal being a drastic measure, and wait for the replacement.

IMHO, a lot of bikes on this forum have been screwed up because someone was "in a hurry", only to have to do it again the correct way, sometimes at great expense.

·
Registered
896 Posts
AFAIK getting the locks in is the easy bit.
Getting them out without destroying them is near impossible, though I`d check with your dealer then also a locksmith, to see if they know if its possible.
However as I`m off to both my dealer today, (as its the meeting point) for a trip to the triumph factory (for the offical tour) I`ll ask both the dealer and the folks at the factory

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
There was a program that exchanged the early +05 panniers for an improved design. The locks were routinely transferred from the old to the new set. Would anyone know if the old sets had to be damaged to remove the locks?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts