Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched out the OEM gas cap with the Triumph locking gas cap. While I like having it, I am wondering if it is sealing properly. I have the impression that my mileage is worse. I've only refueled twice since it's been installed. It could be different fuel or the fact that most of my riding lately has been in town (i.e. lots more idling at lights/ frequent smaller trips). I'd just chalk it up to that except I seem to recall a thread a while back that the locking cap from Triumph really wasn't a good improvement over the original. I tried looking for the thread, but couldn't find it. Any opinions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
514 Posts
Put it down to town riding, it make a heck of a difference. I can't see any reason how a new cap could change the mpg unless it's leaking fuel, you'd soon notice if it was.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You might try putting the original cap back on and duplicate as close as you can the riding you have been doing for a tank full to compare.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I switched out the OEM gas cap with the Triumph locking gas cap. While I like having it, I am wondering if it is sealing properly. I have the impression that my mileage is worse. I've only refueled twice since it's been installed. It could be different fuel or the fact that most of my riding lately has been in town (i.e. lots more idling at lights/ frequent smaller trips). I'd just chalk it up to that except I seem to recall a thread a while back that the locking cap from Triumph really wasn't a good improvement over the original. I tried looking for the thread, but couldn't find it. Any opinions? Thanks!

I honestly don't see how changing the petrol cap would affect mpg, unless someones siphoning the petrol while you're not looking.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess that I was afraid that the cap wasn't tight enough & gas was evaporating through the seal. It's still quite hot here (highs near 90 every day lately). When I refueled today, I got approximately 37 mpg, which is not so bad. Since I take it only on short trips lately and it idles both when I start it up for a moment & at lights, I guess that could eat a couple of miles off each gallon. I got spoiled from my trips to the coast when I could go almost to 130 miles before the warning light came on. :shrug: Thanks for the input everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts