Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
going by the assumption (which might be my first mistake) that there is only one size flip up monza cap, which utilizes a screw type insert (universal threading?) i would think it will work.

however, i have been wrong before... (<---- disclaimer)

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Bella Corse do one for about half that price, for Bonne fitment etc. Fitted my buddy's 98 TBS fine, had to trim the air breather pipe (left side of the filler hole) down about 5 mm on my 98 Tbird tank. Not top quality chrome for our fair moisture-challenged isle but good enough & good price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[email protected]! I just checked with Bike Bandit; they indicated (via phone, as their illustrated parts pic lists the tank cap as a "Bush, Tank") that the standard gas cap is only available with a tank... at $995!!:eek:

Anybody got an extra cap they want to sell?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Yes, the Bonneville caps fit the TBird - a stock Bonneville cap used to be the same part - dunno if they have changed since I last checked

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bike Bandits seems well named, it would be cheaper to fly to Hinckley and pick one up!!!. lf fact it would be cheaper to let the crooks steal the gas!!.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got a Kuryakyn for my Adventuer for WWW.NEWBONNEVILLE.COM. Look in the Speedmaster/America section it was about $40.00 a year ago. Perfect fit, looks Awesome low profile. Will post pictures if I can every figure out how to get them on here.
Corey

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
. Will post pictures if I can every figure out how to get them on here.
Corey
Just upload them to photobucket or somewhere like that, hit the "insert image" button in your message here and paste the link information there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are two types Vented & Non Vented. I have the vented one on mine & no issues. I have had no issues removing to refuel either.
Corey

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
It fits the TBird-I have one-but beware fuel starvation-which is why I took it off. And it can be a bugger to unlocjk. The chrome quality of my one is very good.
Likely your tip-over valve is blocked then - but you should really go for the vented cap - the stock Tbird cap is vented one way - it lets air in but not out

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
the cap (or something else) must be blocking the tank's overflow pipe in some way then - lucky for you as without that tipover valve you would have a severe fire hazard in the event of a spill (accident). Do you know how fast gas comes out of a 1/4" diameter hole - scary fast - even more scary if you are stuck under the bike.

Why do we have a tipover valve? This is why, from the Hurt report:

Fuel system leaks and spills were present in 62% of the motorcycle accidents in the post-crash phase. This represents an undue hazard for fire.
The valve is a way of ensuring good venting when the bike is upright and no venting when its on its side. Remove at your own peril.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts