Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of a photo scavenger hunt, I took off on my Speedy to get the requisite pictures. It was the first sunny day since a week ago yesterday. The road crews had cleared most highways and were working on the town streets. It was a beautiful day for an hour and a half ride. I didn't cover much ground because I was trying to bag specific items for the hunt. The temperature on my trusty weather watch was 29 F, but I believe it was higher.

In every picture you may or may not see the watch. (I refused to use the date stamp on my camera.) It's hanging on the bike somewhere. A little like the traveling gnome in the movie Amelie. So, for your viewing pleasure, may I present my home turf. (Please indulge the personal narrative once again.) Also, the words in bold were the items on the scavenger hunt.

The old curch/school and the 2nd oldest building in southern Nevada (1864). My great-great grandfather hauled the bell from the rail head in Milford, Utah in the late 1880s on his freight wagon.

This is the town park (Pioneer Park) with Two Tanks hill in the background. (Two water tanks used to sit on top.) The steam engine under the cover was used to cut wood. It was transported and placed by the Air Force using a Sky Crane helicopter. The historic marker tells of the local hot spring, the reason for my little town's existence.

I stopped at farmer's house to snag a picture of a live animal. These chickens didn't want their pictures taken. I decided to chase slow movers instead and got a picture of his horses.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Our volunteer fire department has worked hard over the last 10 years to expand and train for any emergency. This is one of three buildings used to house all kinds of hand-me-down equipment including a retired sheriff's vehicle.

There aren't many twisties where I live. This is the best section for about 80 miles. It's a series of 5 turns leading to Pioche along the high road. To the right of the twisties ahead sign, you might see another donkey engine left over from mining days.

One required item was a picture of snow. As you may've noticed all my pictures have snow in them. This shows the terminus of an overhead ore tramway. There's a big bull wheel inside the structure. Up until 5 years ago, if you had the guts, you could ride an ore car for a mile-and-a-half to the mill. Pretty cool, don't you think?

I took a pic of this converted building. It used to be a grocery store and who knows how many other things in the last several decades.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is the Million Dollar Court House, an historic building. It was begun in 1870 and finished about 1936. Graft and corruption made the price skyrocket to within a few dollars of a million dollars in depression era money. The county was so broke, it took a ruling by the US Supreme Court to forgive the debt - just in time to build another court house.

The Sheriff's Detention Center (jail) is where I work some months. It houses inmates from Clark County, for the most part, and a few of our local boys and girls.

Bridges are far and few between. If I were to find a real bridge it'd be in Utah to the east. So, this suffices as a bridge. I know you are thinking "That's not a bridge, it's two culverts in a ditch." You'd be wrong. This is a bridge.

And this, my friends, is what passes as a dam in Nevada. It was built by the CCC during the public works era to channel flood water away from the town. We call it the "dike." It usually collects giant tumble weeds behind the "dam" section. It filled once in 2005 after a huge early melt followed a month of snow storms. Further down the valley, the flood waters washed out one of my favorite roads through Rainbow Canyon. That single event raised the water level in Lake Mead by 8 feet. I live 150 miles from Lake Mead.

So whaddathink? A picture scavenger hunt for Triumpheteers?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thats cool great pics

nice one mate some interesting pics and a bit of history to boot thanks very much ill post some of my own soon of guernsey channel island u.k its very picturesque love to go to America and ride around on my tiger would be great all the best and a happy new year.:)

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guernsey you say...sounds intriguing! I'd sure like to come your way and ride. Can hardly wait for pictures.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Great report, Cat; I'm surprised you didn't use the CBR. The wind protection would have been much more comfortable, I'm thinking.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm surprised you didn't use the CBR. The wind protection would have been much more comfortable, I'm thinking.
Mr. Desert,

It was a simple question of what I thought I could lift if I toppled. I know I can right the Speedy by myself, but the bird is 100 lbs heavier. And while my girth does lend itself to power lifting, I just didn't want to pick up the CBR in snow. I even considered taking my wife's Piaggio, but if I dropped it I might as well leave the country immediately and never return. (Now, there's a thought...How's the southern hemisphere? :D)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts