Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I can't seem to read directions well, I unscrewed the needle jet holder while I was trying to change my main jets. Only problem is now the holder doesn't screw all the way back in. I think the collar is seated properly but I have about 2 turns to go to get it fixed. Does anyone know how to fix this?

....almost forgot. I'm an idiot thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Since I can't seem to read directions well, I unscrewed the needle jet holder while I was trying to change my main jets. Only problem is now the holder doesn't screw all the way back in. I think the collar is seated properly but I have about 2 turns to go to get it fixed. Does anyone know how to fix this?

....almost forgot. I'm an idiot thank you for your assistance.
I cut, paste, and file all posts I think I'll need later. Here's one from Redbird from a few years ago that might get you started in the right direction. - Bob
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: 2006-04-04 19:53

Bob,

A mirror sure helps me. I also use an old rug beside the bike and occasionally lay down and look up at the carbs. A towel underneath the carbs is also a good idea. The main jets screw into the needle jet holder--it is best to NOT remove the needle jet holder. If it starts to unscrew with the main jet, use a wrench (8mm?) to retighten it and keep it from unscrewing. If you remove the needle jet holder, the needle jet will fall out and only seats properly if installed one way, and that one way is not apparent from looking at it.

Larry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure

Thank you for the reply. I don't think that's my issue though. The collar goes in fine and pokes through the other end the same as the other side but the holder won't screw in all the way.

If I put the collar the other way around it doesn't even catch threads so I think I have that part in right. My issue seems to be with the last turn of the holder.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Sounds like you have the needle jet in the correct way. If it were me, I would remove the needle jet again and inspect the "bottom" part of the needle jet and the needle jet holder and make sure the mating surfaces look OK.

If the needle jet is sticking through the throat of the carb (as viewed from the rear without a filter or airbox to restrict ones vision), and the needle jet holder is tight, I would think that it is appropriately tightened--I don't quite get the picture of "last turn". Are you counting turns to see when it is tight? The only thing that I am aware of that goes by the number of turns (commonly) on this forum is the number of turns out that the pilot screws are set for the A/F adjustment. I have even read where one person even tried adjusting the pilot jets out a few turns rather than the pilot screws--so don't get upset if I am way off base here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Will Try

Sorry I should clarify by one turn I mean there is one thread exposed when it stops. The ends look fine and the holder screws in completely without the collar.

Is it OK that the holder is not turned all the way in as long as it's tight?

I'm thinking it migth have something to do with the temperature here in MN. I have the holder and collar outside in the cold with the carb inside. The copper conducts heat faster so maybe they ar just expanded a bit by me holding them while swearing. Hopefully that helps.

Hopefully I finish before the hockey game tonight!

·
30,184 Posts
Have no fear!

The collar can only go in one way - I just tried it on my spare pair of carbs to test it out. And yes, when correctly installed the jet holder has a thread or so showing.

This picture shows the jet holder and collar correctly oriented to each other. See how the end of the collar next to the jet holder is slightly larger diameter than the other. If you put the collar in the wrong way round, the threads on the jet holder won't even engage. I just tried it.

This is what the jet holder looks like when correctly installed.

So I think you're in good shape, except you live in Minnesota, as do I, and we are about out of riding days.

I just moved my bike into the house today, to love and cherish it over the coming nasty months.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like everythnig is going to go back together.

I had her out for a spin this morning. Not a great idea but the wife is out of town so no one to yell at me for the new emgos.

Now I just need to get it back together.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Redbird and Prop - good info. Again, more stuff I file away for future reference.

Bob

·
30,184 Posts
That's what is so great about this forum Bob - I have learned plenty of stuff from you, Larry and others, so when I can I like to kick a bit of info back in to the mix, and we all win!

Fantastic! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts