Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Technology for the sake of technology rarely pays off... at least at first.

AGM batteries in motorcycles are proven and reliable as long as you are buying QUALITY batteries.

As finicky as Triumphs have shown they can be about starting voltage why screw around and experiment... unless you just like to and have more money than sense.
Mine sat weeks in the freezing cold. It wasn't expensive at all, cheap in fact. I think if I rode more it may have held the charge better. If the volts are lower than the norm like that again I'll charge it before trying to do anything. Even if they can be warmed up with some drain load.I wouldn't bother hitting start. I have a volt meter and saw it wasn't fully charged. I wanted to see what it would do. I found out. Not much. Lithium is more all or nothing rather than slowly getting weak so once it started to crank slow I got right off the starter. I didn't try any coaxing for fear of hurting the start system like any other weak battery will.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine sat weeks in the freezing cold. It wasn't expensive at all, cheap in fact. I think if I rode more it may have held the charge better. If the volts are lower than the norm like that again I'll charge it before trying to do anything. I'm afraid I'd drain it too low with a high amp draw. That can wreck it If it. I have a volt meter and could see it wasn't fully charged. I wanted to see what it could do.. I fund out. Not much. Lithium is all or nothing rather than slowly getting weak so once it started to crank slow I got right off the starter. You can tell right away.
If I rode all winter I think I'd put my still good but old AGM type in.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I didn't try any coaxing for fear of hurting the start system like any other weak battery will.
And fair enough too, because that may very well be the end result. The sprag in my Speed Triple died the night I installed the Shorai battery. Nothing that $1000 didn't fix.😢

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I sent a warranty claim directly to Shorai and I'm impressed with their customer service. After waiting a couple of days for a response from the web form I left a message and got a call back that same day. Also that same day they shipped a new battery to me and it is the next size up, a LFX19A4.

I charged it on my dining room table with just a normal car battery charger set to manual...I watched it with a volt meter on the battery and stopped charging when it read 14.5V. I installed it a few hours later and the cranking performance was quite satisfactory. Of course, the temp is 48 degrees and the batter was in a 60 degree house most of the day. We'll see if this batter does better than the last one.

·
Registered
409 Posts
In your first video (the 42F one), once it started, you considered a charging voltage at idle of 13.4v 'perfect'. We usually expect to see ~14.2v..
Or do lithium iron batteries not show the same as lead acid?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
In your first video (the 42F one), once it started, you considered a charging voltage at idle of 13.4v 'perfect'. We usually expect to see ~14.2v..
Or do lithium iron batteries not show the same as lead acid?
I thought 13.4V was where we wanted to be and that over 14V was overcharging. I could be wrong but in any case 13.4V on a cold engine at idle indicates to me a good charging system. I suppose I'll have to see what it gives at 3K rpm.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
The voltage has more to do with the type of R/R I'd say than the type of battery. A MOSFET or Series R/R with a direct to battery wiring will show usually the higher voltage at idle and at higher rpm vs an older style SCR R/R. I would say anything between 13.5 and 14.5 is suitable. There is a difference in that a lead/acid can tolerate a higher voltage than a Li battery, so I've read.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just did an experiment with the Autocraft I spoke of earlier. It was charged then placed on an icy step overnight with temps in the 20's. It tested down only slightly from 14.5. It turned over a revolution but had no pep. Tried again with the same result. It would not have started, at least not easily, if it could have sustained cranking at all. Rather than "waking up" it was just as weak the second try. I stopped within a revolution each time, to give it a chance without pushing it. I took it inside and it was @13.32. Down about a volt. I hope the $300. ones work in the cold but the $70 one I have doesn't. It is rated for 260 amps.. I bet if warmed it in the house it would start but mine produced nowhere near the rated amps freezing cold, charged or not, so there is no point trying. It was charging at 14.5 in the fall and started perfect so if that life killed it I'll find out next spring.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts