Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Shorai LiFePO4 LFX LFX18A1Battery in August. Cold weather performance is less than expected. I was aware that these batteries needed to be "warmed up", but Shorai's marketing schmoo assures that this consists of just letting your lights burn for a couple of minutes or giving a couple of cranks on the starter.

This is overstating the performance of the battery. Performance under 40 degrees F is pretty abysmal. I have a couple of videos on my channel...this post is just so folks who are considering a new battery can make a better informed decision. I'd steer clear of lithium iron if you ride year-round in cool climates. If you ride in warmer weather only this is a good battery...super light and small!

42 degrees:
30 degrees:

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Shorai seems to recommend the LFX 19A4 for your bike, has greater CCA. But, I don't know if that would make a difference. 205CCA vs 285CCA. All Li batteries suffer in the cold. Tesla has recommendations for cold winter driving to improve the loss in mileage per charge, but it still loses a significant amount of mileage. If I was riding in the temps that you do, I would be using an AGM connected to a charger when parked. Motorcycle batteries are small when compared to cars so they will suffer more in the cold. The cold results in a lower discharge rate, but also slows down the charging rate as well. I have no experience with bike Li batteries and I probably never will unless I move to warmer climes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shorai seems to recommend the LFX 19A4 for your bike, has greater CCA.
I need to update my profile. I crashed my GT and have an '09 ST now. The LFX18A1 is the recommended battery from their site for the ST. I'm definitely going to work with them to see if I can swap this Li battery out for an AGM one.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Yeah, I never messed with the LI batteries, they seem like something that would leave me stranded and I have enough problems as it is. Forgot my lunch, wallet, thermos and house keys today, for instance.

·
2,930 Posts
Ryan FortNine recently did a video on batteries...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ryan FortNine recently did a video on batteries...
I watched that a few months back. Love his channel. Nothing in that vid indicated this bad of cold weather performance on Li batteries. My research on them indicated a minute or two of waking them up and you're good to go. I'd be OK with even 3-4 minutes...it's the extremely weak cranking after waking it up that has me miffed and I believe rises to false advertising.

I have an email into Shorai...I'll let you know how well they stand behind their products.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My research on them indicated a minute or two of waking them up and you're good to go. I'd be OK with even 3-4 minutes...it's the extremely weak cranking after waking it up that has me miffed and I believe rises to false advertising.
I was trying to link a previous thread from 2011, but it's not happening, so not sure what's going on there...

I went through all these dramas back then when the recommended Shorai battery was the LFX14. My first two went back to supplier and they finally gave me the LFX18.

Certainly an improvement over the 14, but it suffered damage when my stator died and voltage ran too low. I gave it to a racer with a Daytona 675 and have used lead-acid ever since.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had read some issues like yours on these batteries from ~10 years ago. I had hoped that the tech had advanced since then. I guess not. Hopefully Shorai will take care of me.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I swapped to LiFePO4 on 3 of the bikes - my Daytona 955i, 1050ST special and my wife's Daytona 675. Admittedly it's warmer over here (minimum over winter is ~ 2C) but we've never had a problem in the year or so we've had them. Even after leaving the bikes for almost 4 months, they cranked fast and started 1st time, and the 955i takes a good 10 - 15s of cranking to start. They're SSB PowerSport 14H-BS, and I've been pleasantly surprised. SSB lead-acids are known by some mechanics as Super S**t Batteries...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had the Shorai LFX14A4-BS12 since 2015 on my 2001 Sprint ST. It always started for me, but cold starts in temps under 45F I have to warm up the battery, like they say. I just turn on the ignition so the headlights draw some juice while I put on my helmet/gloves, then cranked for 2-4 slow cranks, while it sounds like a nearly dead battery. Then I turn off the ignition, wait 20-30 seconds for the battery to recover, and try again for no more than 4-5 cranks. Usually it starts on the second time, but occasionally the battery wouldn't be warmed up enough for the 2nd cranking attempt and I'd have to try a 3rd time.

As scary as it sounds when cold, it always got the bike started in temps down to the high 30s. Above 50F it cranks the bike immediately even after not being started for a couple months.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Shorai seems to recommend the LFX 19A4 for your bike, has greater CCA. But, I don't know if that would make a difference. 205CCA vs 285CCA. All Li batteries suffer in the cold. Tesla has recommendations for cold winter driving to improve the loss in mileage per charge, but it still loses a significant amount of mileage. If I was riding in the temps that you do, I would be using an AGM connected to a charger when parked. Motorcycle batteries are small when compared to cars so they will suffer more in the cold. The cold results in a lower discharge rate, but also slows down the charging rate as well. I have no experience with bike Li batteries and I probably never will unless I move to warmer climes.
I purchased a Shorai LiFePO4 LFX LFX18A1Battery in August. Cold weather performance is less than expected. I was aware that these batteries needed to be "warmed up", but Shorai's marketing schmoo assures that this consists of just letting your lights burn for a couple of minutes or giving a couple of cranks on the starter.

This is overstating the performance of the battery. Performance under 40 degrees F is pretty abysmal.
I have an EarthX battery in my BMW K1300S, which is a large displacement, high compression engine. I did a test last winter after the temps had stayed below 20F for a week and the bike is in an unheated space. I turned it on, waited for the bike to complete its turn on shenanigans and it started instantly, first push. The turn on takes 15 seconds and the headlight does not turn on till after the bike is running.

Here are some cold start videos of the earthX batteries.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
then cranked for 2-4 slow cranks, while it sounds like a nearly dead battery. Then I turn off the ignition, wait 20-30 seconds for the battery to recover, and try again for no more than 4-5 cranks. Usually it starts on the second time, but occasionally the battery wouldn't be warmed up enough for the 2nd cranking attempt and I'd have to try a 3rd time.
The headlight on technique never worked for me and I found thumbing the starter was the only way to warm up the battery (LFX14). The huge current draw would scavenge an extra .05V-.06V with each start attempt. I noted in the 2011 thread that one start attempt took me 7 minutes 48 seconds. I hope I wasn't in a hurry.🙄

·
Registered
18 Posts

This is overstating the performance of the battery. Performance under 40 degrees F is pretty abysmal. I have a couple of videos on my channel...this post is just so folks who are considering a new battery can make a better informed decision. I'd steer clear of lithium iron if you ride year-round in cool climates. If you ride in warmer weather only this is a good battery...super light and small!
my friends at the dealership service dept told me they have never seen one of those batteries make it a year and they always have to send them back. and i live in central tx with riding weather year round. i was going to make a switch but decided hell with it. my original battery lasted 7 years. good enough for me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The headlight on technique never worked for me and I found thumbing the starter was the only way to warm up the battery (LFX14). The huge current draw would scavenge an extra .05V-.06V with each start attempt. I noted in the 2011 thread that one start attempt took me 7 minutes 48 seconds. I hope I wasn't in a hurry.🙄
I'd rather use a battery that works then have to buy a starter... but that's just me.

In the old days Yuasa lead acid batteries made in Japan were the gold standard.

For the last couple decades I've always had great service from East Penn - DEKA AGM batteries in my bikes.
Had one in a Sportster that went 10+ years and I replaced it cause i felt guilty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was trying to link a previous thread from 2011, but it's not happening, so not sure what's going on there...

I went through all these dramas back then when the recommended Shorai battery was the LFX14. My first two went back to supplier and they finally gave me the LFX18.

Certainly an improvement over the 14, but it suffered damage when my stator died and voltage ran too low. I gave it to a racer with a Daytona 675 and have used lead-acid ever since.
Some lithium batteries (claim to) have built-in discharge and overcharge protection. Of course, they cost more.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd rather use a battery that works then have to buy a starter... but that's just me.

In the old days Yuasa lead acid batteries made in Japan were the gold standard.

For the last couple decades I've always had great service from East Penn - DEKA AGM batteries in my bikes.
Had one in a Sportster that went 10+ years and I replaced it cause i felt guilty.
Me too. The OEM Yuasa in my KTM has done well at nearly 5 years and 103,000km
The very reason I got a Lithium was for the cranking amps to protect the start system. Worked well all summer. Not acceptable when it's cold. (mine is a cheap one from Advanced Auto that must have the circuit built in as it calls for a regular charger) ]

·
Registered
293 Posts
The very reason I got a Lithium was for the cranking amps to protect the start system. Worked well all summer. Not acceptable when it's cold. (mine is a cheap one from Advanced Auto that must have the circuit built in as it calls for a regular charger)
Technology for the sake of technology rarely pays off... at least at first.

AGM batteries in motorcycles are proven and reliable as long as you are buying QUALITY batteries.

As finicky as Triumphs have shown they can be about starting voltage why screw around and experiment... unless you just like to and have more money than sense.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts