Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't matter if I'm riding with friends or just stopped at a rest stop, everyone seems to have their own opinion when i take off my helmet to reveal headphones taped into my ears.

Some instantly say what a good idea, while others jump on the safety issues of the matter. (i have thought about them thouroughly)

Any of you ride with em? Any of you scoff at those who do? Opinions? Also, if you do what do you prefer rockin' out to?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I wouldn't ride with them. I would think that the music could possibly be distracting. i've always thought about bringing my iPod along on some back hwy's where there isn't any traffic around. It is also illegal. I would say personal preference though, to each his own.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I ride with them sometimes. I don't think they're distracting at all, most of the time I forget it's on.

I had a pair of expensive shure earpods that sounded great but didn't like the way they blocked out everything else.

I went back to the sony pods because I can hear the music and also the engine (which is a sweet sound). I make sure I set the level before I ride and don't turn it up after a get riding, just so I not blasting my eardrums along the way.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, when i started toying with the idea of headphones i figured noise cancelling was strictly out of the question. I use my sony k750 cellphone to listen to music. perfect volume and the headphones are low enough quality i can hear most ambient noises.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I might consider it for highway drones, but in town? No way. Too many people trying to kill me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used to ride with music in my ears, but I just found it to distracting in the sense of starting to get to "into" the music and not paying attention to what's going on around me, etc.

I do wear earplugs now for any ride more than 30 mins....otherwise the Jardines just start pounding in my head and it doesn't stop once the rides over for at least an hour or so.... :(

JOHN

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2006-12-07 16:08, graciejohn2 wrote:
I used to ride with music in my ears, but I just found it to distracting in the sense of starting to get to "into" the music and not paying attention to what's going on around me, etc.

JOHN
Yeah i have noticed some correlation between song and speed.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I wear regular earplugs. I think music would be a distraction as well. But everyone should wear some hearing protection. The wind noise will permanently damage your hearing over a long period.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I do and never had a problem with knowing whats going on in my environment, I dont crank 'em so that I dont hear anything else but it really hasnt been a distraction to riding.

I tended to use the in-ear earphone with my MP3 player, I used only 'one' ear, it was plenty. Nowadays I listen to muzak from my cellphone (Nokia N80 and SE Walkman phone) and I use it's handsfree kit, this allows me to conduct brief windblasted and muffled conversations on the phone while riding (another no-no i know) and it works great for music and satisfactory for phone calls (I'm all muffled).

They handsfree earpiece/mic hangs around my neck like a pendant and I just tap my upper chest to use the one large button that controls voice recognition, call answer, and change station.

I hear they have those speakers made specifically for riders (communication kits) that you simply velcro to the ear region of the inside of you helmet liner then plug the connector end into your deivice, that sounds like an idea to keep from putting gear completely in your ear..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Man I ride with them all the time. I see no problem. If the rider is so stupid to turn the vol. up so loud that they can't hear anything else that would be bad but I am sure you don't. I use the sony pods that have a hook that goes around the top of the ear. work great. Nothing like some Buddy guy or Stevey ray Vaugnh to make a great ride even better. :cool:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Psychobilly with a mix of 50s rock and roll and 50s surf

ever hear dick dale's miserlou going 90 through your favorite back road? :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I take my Ipod on long highway rides. I don't crank it up though. Still like to hear the exhaust and what's going on around me. I haven't found it distracting at all. As far as music choice, depends on the mood. If I'm heading to the beach for the weekend, Jimmy Buffet it is. If I'm taking twisties on back roads I prefer to rock out. I have a playlist for any mood.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I have these:

They block out sound as well as my earplugs, but now I can fill the silence with music, even low volume sounds great. I only hook it up on longer trips, though. The other really cool thing about this setup is that it comes with an inline microphone, so if I stop, I can just flip a switch and the music is muted and I can hear someone talking to me. No need to take off the helmet and earplugs before I can hear someone talking. I wouldn't even consider any kind of earbud or other phone that doesn't block out the sound. I need my hearing.

BTW, I also have some custom-fitted Ultimate Ears that I had made before I got back into bikes, but I can't get my helmet on with them in. Oh well, the Shures sound great anyway.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
If I had headphones built-in to my helmet I'd ride with music all the time to muffle wind noise and save my ears. Right now all I've got is ear plug type headphones that are a PITA to put in and make my ears sore after a while, so I only use those on long rides.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts