Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
It was only a matter of time before some idiot thought that the nut on the K&N filter was for putting on as well as taking off. Nice that your friend got to tackle someone elses momentary lapse of reason.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
OMG what a nightmare!

What a nightmare, my favourite filter for the Sprint is the one that is about 20mm proud of the sump, that's 3/4" in the non metric language.

At least if it gets s a bit stuck I can get my filter strap tool on it.

That would have been a nightmare Donski and your buddy did a real nice write up with good photos of what he ended up having to do get get the pesky filter off.

Some peeps forget to put a smear of oil on the rubber "O" ring which certainly also aids removal later on as well as seals things up nicely.

Thanks Don.

DaveM:HappySidecar

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave is a cool head. He's watching out for stuff I have on my X-Mas wish list for my Morini:D. I got a tank and other small parts from him. We're still looking for a suitable front end and a couple of coils.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've had this experience with an after-market filter than a shop had installed on my Sprint (not K&N). I found the large socket that fits OEM Triumph slipped and rounded off the corners. My solution was to line the inside of the socket with sandpaper, gently tap it on to the filter and cautiously apply torque. Thankfully it worked.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One should put them on by hand and be able to take them off by hand.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Wow! Awesome post!

FWIW, I use the old 'contact plus 3/4 turn' method. And, of course, a smear of clean oil on the gasket.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Wow! Awesome post!

FWIW, I use the old 'contact plus 3/4 turn' method. And, of course, a smear of clean oil on the gasket.
Yep, this is the most trouble free oil filter install method. In fact it is the only instance in which I have found it best to ignore the manufacturers' torque specification. It goes without saying that you should check for leaks after initial warm up, but they should be non-existent following this method.

Although it has never happened to me, it is also prudent to verify that the old filter seal is still with the old filter when removed. I have read of an instance in which it remained on the sump seal surface undetected, and caused a leak when the new filter was installed.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 Cal & OnD

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
It's amazing that something as simple as an oil change can cause so many problems.

Sent from my iPhone;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts