Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Limey deals with properties somewhat, so that's why I'm calling on you bud. Went to pay my property taxes for all of my vehicles today, and the woman asked me if I was going to pay the taxes on my land!!! :hammer: I said, "NO honey, that's escrowed in to my house payment." She continues to tell me, that my house could be foreclosed on next month if I don't pay the back taxes of the SOB that lived here before us. This house was a foreclosure because the sack of sh*t didn't pay his bills, we bought the house from the bank. Shouldn't all of this have been covered at closing? I've already left the lawyer a message, but I need to know all that I can about this situation. Is this for real? What can I do about this? I'm thoroughly pissed and I'm about ready to blow up our county tax office! :mad:

Btw, it's almost a freak'n $1000!!! :mad: And I've been here 3-1/2 years now, and have never received not one bit of info saying I owe anything. What would they have done if I didn't go down there? Foreclose on me without even telling me I owed anything??? :hammer: Arrrrrrrr, I'm pissed! :mad:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If its taxes owed from the old owner it should have been paid at closing, if not, its the title companies fault, so you can call them, and they can friggin pay it. its why you have title insurance when you close. Give me a call I will explain it in more detail.

·
Registered
979 Posts
F*#k i thought Australia had some weird taxes,that is f&#ked.Good luck Cheapo hope it all pans out well. :hammer:

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the call Limey, I'm gonna be all up the closing lawyer's ass in the morning. :hammer: Just saw the pm too R100, thanks man.

[ This message was edited by: cheapbastard on 2007-01-04 16:48 ]

·
Registered
161 Posts
On 2007-01-04 15:51, cheapbastard wrote:
I know Limey deals with properties somewhat, so that's why I'm calling on you bud. Went to pay my property taxes for all of my vehicles today, and the woman asked me if I was going to pay the taxes on my land!!! :hammer: I said, "NO honey, that's escrowed in to my house payment." She continues to tell me, that my house could be foreclosed on next month if I don't pay the back taxes of the SOB that lived here before us. This house was a foreclosure because the sack of sh*t didn't pay his bills, we bought the house from the bank. Shouldn't all of this have been covered at closing? I've already left the lawyer a message, but I need to know all that I can about this situation. Is this for real? What can I do about this? I'm thoroughly pissed and I'm about ready to blow up our county tax office! :mad:

Btw, it's almost a freak'n $1000!!! :mad: And I've been here 3-1/2 years now, and have never received not one bit of info saying I owe anything. What would they have done if I didn't go down there? Foreclose on me without even telling me I owed anything??? :hammer: Arrrrrrrr, I'm pissed! :mad:
This is what Title Insurance is for. You should have been offered it at closing. It's worth every penny. Grab your HUD statement and see if you opted for it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Property taxes on your vehicles? Sorry about the house thing. I'm not a fan of the way things are run around here.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Boy it's going to be hard to look the little ones in the eye when you have to tell them "I've got no option but to sell you all for scientific experiments to pay the back taxes".

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Seems like its time for the states to get back at us... NYS just sent me a notice saying I owe more taxes from 2005. Awesome.

·
Registered
403 Posts
property taxez on your bikes??? ***? You mean pay your registration, right???? :???:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why do you guys think we have such great pavement for you to ride on- taxes baby!

Hey Cheap-email me and tell me who did your closing? Did the bank pick the attorney? Also, like said before, check your closing documents, that title insurance should be there. In fact, in NC I think you HAVE to have title insurance to close.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks fer all of the advice guys, I'm wake'n the freak'n closing attorney up in the morning! :hammer: As fer the title insurance, could that be under the title examination? that alone was 400 freak'n dollars. :hammer: Golf, I'll shoot you an email 1st thing in the morning. If ya want, gimme a buzz at work.

·
Registered
187 Posts
that really sucks, sorry to hear about that cheap. Keep up posted on the outcome. I'm looking to buy my first house this year, and have alot to learn.

In NC, we have to pay taxes on our vehicles (cars, motorcycle, trailers, etc.) every year. It suck more when I had purchase my car in NY, paid around 8% tax, and then move to NC and paying more taxes each year, it's usually about $100-$200 in most cases, per car. :hammer:

·
Banned
798 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what were you planning to use on the county office, ehh...??? (spoken in my best Peter Lorre voice)

Anyway, sounds like you got plenty of actual talent to help you solve this one. If it makes you feel any better, I'd be freaking out too.

With the direction housing is taking these days, I'm surprised the county is that eager to re-possess a man's house. I think the person you spoke with was most likely just a hillbilly dummass that spoke entirely out of turn. Did she have all her teeth? I hope this doesn't offend anyone here, but government employees, 9 out 10 times, are either too stupid to know better, or too lazy to care.

**** luck with it,
kjazz

·
Registered
973 Posts
Any back taxes should have been exposed in the disclosure and the title search. I will never close on another house without a lawyer with a bad attitude. Half the stuff you sign is'nt even necessary and is to cover the banks ass only.

Why do you pay property taxes on vehicles? Never heard of that one.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Cheap,

Don't know if you got your answer from the closing attorney, but there are two kinds of title insurance. The first is for the bank. Some banks require you to purchase a policy in their name just in case something like this happens. It protects the banks interest. The second it to title insurance for you. They are two separate policies, and the insurance to protect you usually cost more. I clearly remember this when I bought my house because the personal insurance was about 2 grand. I did have a lawyer and was pissed I had to buy on policy and basically was told I better buy the second.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I know nothing about property law, or anything related to real estate. :pkit: :idea: :wow: :knkknk:

·
Registered
288 Posts
On 2007-01-04 22:29, itchin wrote:
Any back taxes should have been exposed in the disclosure and the title search. I will never close on another house without a lawyer with a bad attitude. Half the stuff you sign is'nt even necessary and is to cover the banks ass only.

Why do you pay property taxes on vehicles? Never heard of that one.
We have property taxes on vehicles in Va too. I got a tax bill for my motorcycle trailer yesterday.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah fellers, taxes here suck, but as golfinc said, guess that's why we have such great roads. :hammer: :-D Here's the scoop fer now, and it's not sound'n good so far. :mad:

Talked to the attorney’s office, Taxes were paid thru 02 on the house. Since I purchased the house in June of 03, and the tax bill didn’t come out until July, the seller was pro-rated from Jan 01 to June 27 of 03. She said I was credited that amount at closing, but wouldn’t that amount go directly to the county tax office at closing? As for the remaining taxes of the year, she told me to contact my mortgage company since my money is escrowed, and research what was done with the escrow money from 03. I have been on the phone for almost a freak’n hour now, and now I’m supposed to fax my mortgage company all of the info. They told me it could take up to 14 business days for a response, and I should know something. So I guess we’ll see where it goes from there. :hammer: :mad:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts