Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From day one, I have not been completely satisfied with my Triumph. The bike runs like a dream, and always makes me smile whether I'm stuck in traffic in town or all alone on a two-lane road. But I've always worried about the bike being such a hard starting machine.

Every time I've started it up (especially when other people were around), I'd plop on the seat, close my eyes, cross my fingers, tentatively grab the hand grips, say a quick prayer, and start grinding away on the starter. Don't get me wrong, the bike's always started, but almost never on the first crank. My routine has been to sit there and grind the starter unsuccessfully for about three seconds, wait about 10-15 seconds, and then grind away again. Usually on this second pass, the engine would slowly sputter to life before picking up speed and then idling smoothly and running fine. Sometimes it would take the third try before starting. I remember about two times that it's taken 4-5 attempts before it ran.

Two mornings ago, my four-year-old twins were in the driveway watching as I got ready to leave for work. I was saying something to my daughter at the time, and I didn't sit on the seat when I hit the starter that time. As a result, my hand was also not touching the throttle. Imagine my shock and surprise when the motor roared to life immediately. Was it just a fluke, or could this little miracle be repeated??

In the parking lot at lunch time, I tried to repeat the process from that morning (still crossing my fingers and closing my eyes, but NOT touching the throttle). Immediately the bike was growling and ready to hit the road. Now, for almost three full days, every time I hit the starter button and keep my #$%&ing right hand off the throttle grip, the bike jumps to life, eager and ready to go. My bike's not a hard starter; it was operator error the whole time!!

The bad thing is, I know better. I've even read recently somebody post here that they make sure they don't touch the throttle before hitting the starter. To finally end this post, I no longer close my eyes, cross my fingers, say a prayer, and all that stuff. I just hit that little black magic button with my right thumb and smile when I hear the rumble. Lesson learned...

·
Registered
475 Posts
You must be from my generation where on most cars you had to floor the gas pedal to "set" the choke.

I really love fuel injection for the easy starting especially on an outboard motor. However, there are three items that I still hope to see FI on one day - a leaf blower, a string trimmer and a chain saw - these crappy little 2 strokes have to be the hardest to start engines ever made.

·
Registered
687 Posts
When I picked my bike up part of the orientation was to pull the choke out, turn the gas on and press the button and not touch the throttle. It starts in nano sseconds.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I get quite a back-fire when starting my America if I give it any gas at all. In fact at warm weather, I usually only give it 3/4 choke or it really roars.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
tried this today after work having read this post at work. Yep.....started right up. Funny how so many of us seem to think we need to give it a little throttle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
On 2005-08-26 16:28, Anchorbend wrote:
When I picked my bike up part of the orientation was to pull the choke out, turn the gas on and press the button and not touch the throttle. It starts in nano sseconds.
Same here. When I bought it the sales guy said "if cold, pull the choke, do not touch the throttle, at the first traffic light down the road turn the choke off". That was a hard habit to break, but sure enough, she starts easily every time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts