Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm unashamedly referencing Triple J radio's Like a version.

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/like-a-version/

This thread is not just about Triple J, more a chance for us to share the best, worst and blandest of cover versions.
For me Santana did an OK cover of Black Magic Woman, Wet Wet Wet Wet did the worst cover of Love is all around and the best cover version is far to hotly contested to name just one.

The Troggs themselves liked this as their favourite version of Wild Thing

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Great covers:

Stan Ridgway and Wall of Voodoo doing a psychedelic version of Ring of Fire.

Pattie Smith Group doing So You Want to be a Rock and Roll Star.

(Sorry I can't embed Youtube videos, probably related to my browser security settings.)

Awful covers: Too many, too awful, too forgettable.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
I heard this at the end of a TV show, didnt even realize it was an Elvis tune until half way through, sorta liked it, definitely not Elvis

Anything that Rodger Ridley (street performer) does, a lot of soul in his music

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Probably not a lot of jazz fans here (or anywhere for that matter). Yesterday I was listening to an excellent version of First Light played by Eddie Henderson. I was enjoying the song but realized that I was going to go home and listen to the Freddie Hubbard original. It's very rare that I enjoy a cover as much as the original which is a little weird because in jazz, being improvisational music, every playing is a new take on the original but I prefer hearing the evolution of a song by the original artist rather than a cover by someone else.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I love Jorge Drexler's version of the Radiohead song High and Dry. Here's Jorge's version

Here's the original

They are both good, but I like Jorge's better.

Added bonus: The song is about motorcycle riding.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Disturbed are in the running for the best cover version ever, who can top that.
I did once see a hairy tattooed rocker belting out some Arethra Franklin, never found in on the tube though.

I'll go again. For me a good cover is one best when I didn't really like the original
https://youtu.be/u9Dg-g7t2l4

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
How long can a list be. Some of my faves:

I think that Bauhaus' version of 'Telegram Sam', which is a T-Rex classic, is actually an improvement.

And as I prepare to run and hide, just about everyone has covered AC DC's 'Back in Black', even Living Colour, who are vastly better than ACDC, but fellow Aussies Regurgitator give it a new edge.

Yes doing Simon & Garfunkels 'America'.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Always liked this Bangles cover of Hazy Shade of Winter... And hey, it's Susanna Hoffs!

And this cover will make all the old California flower children puke for days

1 - 20 of 24 Posts