Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I nabbed a Blue Haze Bird back in 2010 and had the dealer install a BB kit, do some custom powder coating, add floorboards, and install black BC Hog Slayers. Shortly after I ordered a custom Corbin seat and called it good. Well, recently I decided that it needed more work so I threw on some TT bars, Kury Black ISO grips, Triumph Black Teardrop mirrors, and removed the tank badges in order to change them out to Rocket III badges. I kind of liked the sterile look so I haven't put the new badges on yet. I also took the Hog Slayers off a couple of days ago, stripped them down, and repainted with VHT flat black followed by Satin Clear coat so that they would better match the overall paint of the bike. The Hog Slayers never quite looked right because they were a flat off color black. Anyway, The reason for this thread, other than to show off my bike, is to give you guys some ideas if you really hate that license plate bracket/turn signal mount on the back of your fender. I hated that thing. I took everything off and cut the bracket off of my fender to clean it up. I drilled holes in the fender and mounted the turn signals directly to it then made a license plate bracket, complete with the original plate light, to relocate it to one side. I put a small tool bag on the backside of the plate to clean it up and provide some storage for registration and insurance paperwork. I love the way it turned out. Next on the list is adding Hagon shocks with black springs as soon as they arrive in the mail...then she should be finished (or so I keep saying)!

·
Registered
377 Posts
That took some brass ones to drill in to your rear fender. I must say that you have pulled off a great look. I want to go the other direction and put full fenders on mine and I think your license plate bracket would be a good fit for it.

~Mick

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brass ones...

Yea, it was a pretty hard to start that drill, but I measured a couple of times and marked it before I did the deed. I contemplated rigging something else up, then just said "screw it" and took a chance. I figured the worst that could possibly happen is I would have to weld in the holes and get it repainted. That would be horrible, but it didn't turn out that way and the risk was WELL worth it. If you decide to do something similar and need help let me know. I'm new to welding and bought a welder specifically for another bike project. I turned a Royal Enfield Bullet into a Bobber and started fabricating stuff for that. My welds aren't the prettiest, but I do a lot of clean up to make sure they turn out looking good. By the way, the Bird has changed again since those pics. I put on Rocket III Roadster badges and painted the face of my calipers (the part that says Triumph) black. I can't wait to get those new springs and lower it an inch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What exactly do you want pics of? The wiring underneath the fender is exactly the same as before...I just used some zip ties to keep everything neat. I used pipe for the bracket so I could run the wires internally, but I didn't want to drill another hole in the fender for the plate light so I just have it going underneath. You don't notice it at all unless you're looking for it. I'll take some pictures tomorrow for you. If you want to see anything specific let me know. I've been in the garage today working on the rear fender for my Enfield Bobber project and it's turning out pretty badass. I used a trailer fender from Tractor Supply and welded on a homemade sissy bar today. Tomorrow I need to paint it. Here are some pics of the plate bracket the day I finished it, but they aren't great quality. I'll get some better ones in the light tomorrow along with the other mods. Yea, I'm at Bragg. I've been here since 04.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are a few close up pics of my work. I snapped them really quick before it got dark and didn't have time to try to take good ones. It's been a long day. Anyway, the camera really brings out all of the crap!! Everything looks filthy and scratched to ****, but that's not the case. I plan on cleaning up the wiring slightly at some point, but it's hardly noticeable so I'm not too worried about it. Here are pics of the wiring under the fender and the spots where I cut the welds and sprayed a bit of primer to keep from rusting:

Here's the bracket where it attaches to the fender. I used a couple of small pieces of old tire tube to protect the paint:

Here's a few of the bracket:

The close ups do it no justice whatsoever. It looks WAY better under normal viewing circumstances. When you get in with a camera you start noticing every little flaw, but when you're standing just looking at the bike it looks great. Oh, and I added that spacer behind the light because my design was a bit flawed and the light reflected off of the spikes. The spacer made it focus on the actual plate. I forgot to take pics of the other stuff and it's too dark to get good ones so I'll try to get some in the sun tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
FANTASTIC!!

I totally love what you have done with your bike. I've been thinking of blacking out my pipes - yours look amazing.

Are the front header pipes also painted, or are they ceramic coated, or something else?

What about the upper an lower yoke and signals, front fork lowers? Did you paint that stuff too?

Again, in my anti-chrome opinion what you have done is awesome. I'd love to see a shot of the right side of the bike to see what you've done there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, sorry it took me a while to respond. I've been pretty busy over the last couple of days. The only thing that I painted myself was the BC Hog Slayers. The rest of it was done by the dealership's in-house paint shop. It's all powder coat. I ordered the bike in 2010 while I was out of the country and had a few months before my return so I sent them a photoshopped copy of a stock bird with everything I wanted blacked out. I had them do all of the work for me so that it would be ready when I got home then I added the Corbin seat shortly after...only recently did I start doing more to it. I've been working on bobbing out an Enfield Bullet which got me wanting to fix things on the Tbird that hadn't sat right with me since I got it. The TTbars are great and so are the Black ISO grips. I should get my new Hagon Shocks anytime and drop the rear end an inch....I'm pretty excited about that. I think it will be done after that and I'll post some updated pics.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Ahhh... well, no idea what they've done there then. I've been told that you can't powdercoat headers because they get to hot, over 1200 degrees the powdercoat melts, so it must be ceramic or something.

I sure would love to be able to drop my bike off somewhere and say "powdercoat this part and this one..." that would be great!

Here is my plate solution - carved the big ugly bracket with my Dremel tool and mounted a plate using some LED light bolts to illuminate it. Much smaller profile, but could be improved on... as you have proven.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never got into detail with the paint shop as to what exactly they used. They just told me that they would powder coat everything. I've checked into getting things powder coated other places, too, and was told that they couldn't do headers. I think it depends on whether or not that specific shop has the ability to do ceramic powder coating which I think is a different type of paint. I don't know a lot about it, though, and I didn't question the results. I was happy enough to not really care..hahah. I'm just glad I didn't have to take all that stuff apart and put it back together myself. Your plate bracket looks a lot better than stock, too. I came really close to doing something similar to what you did, but decided that those turn signals needed to be moved and I didn't want anything covering that back tire so I went all out and just cut all of it off. Once you do that there's no going back!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I've been told that you can't powdercoat headers because they get to hot, over 1200 degrees the powdercoat melts, so it must be ceramic or something.
You can't see the headers on the TBird, there are sleeves over the headers. That is why the "headers" never blue on the TBird, the sleeves never get hot enough. Likely the standard powder coat can withstand the heat of the sleeves.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
You can't see the headers on the TBird, there are sleeves over the headers. That is why the "headers" never blue on the TBird, the sleeves never get hot enough. Likely the standard powder coat can withstand the heat of the sleeves.
Ahhh! Really? That makes sense then.

I might have a buddy with a laser heat meter check the pipes next time I'm out. That would be interesting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts