Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I have never seen a Triumph with faded flaking or otherwise crappie paint. I'm thinking they have the best paint of any Bike manufacturer past or present. or maybe I just don't see the abused faded junk yard Triumph's. Also does anybody know who manufactures their paint..thinking of painting my car....

Thanks,
Stealth

·
Premium Member
'08 Bonneville, '14 Thruxton, '17 Thruxton R, '12 Street Triple R, '99 R1100S, '65 Ducati 350
22,973 Posts
The paint looks good but the clear coat is junk. It scratches so easily.

·
Registered
182 Posts
+1 on the crap clear coat - my tank has very fine scratches all over it that polishing doesn't remove - but a good polish will hide for a while, or until I spill petrol on it. Previous owner seemed to have a zip on his jacket that has left a little white spot on the lower part of the tank that ****s me.

I often think about getting my tank (and tail) resprayed as the few little dings really detract.

Anyone have any luck with 'touching up' little rubbed areas?

BTW in comparison, my CBR, with a plastic tank cover and fairings was far worse for showing wear, but at least you could remove scratches with a reasonably aggressive cutting compound.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
They use Standox base coat clear coat at the factory. The clear isn't actually junk, the tanks are just subject to alot of abuse and it can be seen because you are close. If you look at your car close up - same deal.

It polishes up real nice and quick too.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
"The paint looks good but the clear coat is junk. It scratches so easily"

Anyone have any luck with 'touching up' little rubbed areas?
I use two Meguair's products (both available at Autozone) that work well: Swirl X Swirl Remover for swirls. The second is for scratches: Scratch X 2.0. It does a good job on light scratches (all I've ever had). Just follow directions -- be gentle -- and use a clean microfiber cloth. My 2006 black and Tornado Red tank still looks like new after 23 k-- it really does. BTW: black seems to be the hardest color to hide any imperfections in the paint. There are probably other brands that work as well or perhaps better than Meguair's for light scratches, but I'm very satisfied.

I use Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2 on the tank, the black side covers and fenders and it seems to last and work very well. Again, there may be better products, but this works for me.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Paint

I bought my Bonneville new in 2007. 9k miles later my paint still looks new. I wash/wax every two weeks. Between washes, I use Honda spray polish. Do NOT use the cheap pump stuff sold at W-mart. That stuff leaves streaks. My T-100 is almost 4 years old and still looks/runs great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Oldguy - will give the scratch product a burl.

that rubbed patch is another matter though - almost needs a bit of a touch up first.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
"That rubbed patch is another matter though - almost needs a bit of a touch up first."

I'd ask a professional body man for his take and advice on how to proceed. There are a bunch of auto detailing sites that might prove useful. Sounds like you're past the clear coat.....

"Paint on my thruxton is terrible, black is tough to care for, but it scratches so easy. Look at it too long and I swear it'll leave a scratch." Sorry to hear that. Being really careful and gentle during washing, waxing, and wax removal is a key for me. Any applicator or microfiber cloth with dust or grit on it, of course, just makes the problem worse, as you know.

See post # 5 (partial quote below) on this web site below for some perspectives on scratches. HTH.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45049Excerpt below:
"Generally speaking, any scratch that you can feel with your fingernail is likely to be too deep to successfully, or even safely, remove. Even this varies, however - can you barely feel it, or does your fingernail really drop into it? If you can barely feel it then you may well be able to remove it with a bit of work. But if it's really noticeable you may be able to do no more than minimize the appearance.

Remember, in order to remove a scratch you have to remove surrounding material down to the bottom of the scratch. After all, a scratch is missing material and how do you remove what is missing? Leveling the paint is the only way to accomplish this, but leveling to the point of removing too much clear is not a safe way to go. This alone limits how deep of a scratch you can safely remove.

So depending on your customer's definition of "fine scratch" he may be right. Or he could be totally wrong."

·
Registered
603 Posts
Anybody used the Turtle Wax Black kit on a black paint job. Is it a gimmick or does it actually make the black look better than a traditional wax/polish?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts