Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

281 - 300 of 354 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Nice looking puppies.

I love Jack Russells, but they are too high energy and way too smart for me.

Reactions: DaveM

·
Registered
62 Posts
Brave soul, camping with three. We've camped with two many times but can hardly handle three at home.
Having a dog again changed the dynamic of camping for us. Especially when the "boys" are together. We camp alot with our friends that have Max. Samsons first 2 weeks all he knew was the camper. The breeder called us when we were on vacation, he was ready to go. A 2 hour drive home to the breeder and back and he was ours. They definitely get alot of attention. Samson is 105lbs and his brother Max is only around 60lbs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
It's been a while but here's a few:
The big girl all curled up under a heat lamp is a Boa Constrictor Longicauda who is full of babies and is due any day now.
The one in the water is dad having a soak.
The two ornery lizards hanging out on and in the cage are a pair of Dumeri's monitors and
The box full of eggs is their handiwork.

Also in the photos of the gravid boa is my buddy, Tromper, a Leopard Tortoise who I've had for around 25 years now and part of a Red Foot Tortoise who is around 15 years old.

Attachments

·
Driftless Admin
11,795 Posts
OK dog lovers, I typed this up for a mental health forum I visit but thought you might be interested too. Although it is probably just an unpleasant wall of words. So, here are a couple pictures too.

I thought I'd share about my daughter's service dog. Not as a recommendation, but a light-hearted story.

My daughter's mental illness emerged in high school (BPD, depression, anxiety, autism), and at that point my idea was that she would transition to college and "get over it". I guess I thought it was high school angst she would outgrow. It wasn't.

So when she said she wanted a service dog the summer before college I was against it. It would stigmatize her, and add complications to her life. When I asked her why she wanted one, she said it would give her a reason to get out of bed in the morning. I think she feared her depression would immobilize her if she didn't have a purpose. I couldn't say no to that.

So we got a service dog, a border collie mix, and joined a fairly expensive training program. That dog was a bad choice, it was the wrong breed. He is a super empathetic dog, but just wigs out when it sees a squirrel or small dog, it just loses it's mind. Which would drive my daughter's anxiety up, which would drive the dog's anxiety up. No one was happy.

So, daughter said she wanted a second dog. That drove my anxiety up! In the end we gave her our golden retriever puppy, which we got with the idea he could be a backup dog for our daughter. But we had bonded, and especially my wife was heart broken to give him up.

So now daughter has two service dogs. Well, the border collie is retired and doesn't do public access, but certainly provides in-home emotional support. And the golden does public access and goes everywhere with her.

It's been a good thing. It does give my daughter's life structure. They are still in training, and that provides some social interactions for her as well.

The other day the golden was bothering me. It kept nudging my arm like it wanted to be pet. I said to daughter "what's up with this guy", and she said "are you scratching yourself?" I was, I had a little itchy scab on my wrist. That dog was interrupting what it saw as self-harming behavior! My daughter used to have bleeding scabs all over her wrists from aggressive scratching and they were gone, and I realized she had trained the dog to stop her from doing that. Amazing. She's trained them to touch on command, and to lay on her, make eye contact, all of which gives her emotional support.

We've basically never had a problem with having the dog in public. People are very supportive. It doesn't hurt that the dogs are beautiful.

They do add complications (and expense) to life. It gets overwhelming with the pets we already have and her dogs in addition when daughter visits. And the collie wants to kill my cats (or maybe love them to death), either way it's a hassle. And there is dog hair everywhere, always.

I asked daughter what the best and worst parts of the dogs were. She said the worst part was they are annoying and she wants to kill them sometimes. The best was that she loves them and can't imagine life without them. Which is interesting, it's exactly how I feel about her :)

But it's hard to say they haven't been worth it.

So ... that's my story.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
I love dogs and can't imagine our home without one. If I am in a group of people and there is a dog, I will be the one petting it. It calms me when I do.

I see service dogs and know enough not to interfere even though I want to say hello, pet it and thank it for its service. It is amazing what a service dog can do for somebody. Your daughter is lucky to have two of them.

Woof!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
I must say Ed, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post about your daughter's service dog/dogs. I can relate to your daughter's situation with her having the need for a service dog as my oldest daughter has a service dog. Service dogs are something that people in need of having one find them invaluable and they are tremendous assets without a doubt.

Up until my daughter got her service dog Ajax, she was what I can only best describe as an emotional mess dealing with PTSD. Since getting her service dog, she is personally more grounded and balanced for the most part, except for her obsessing over her service dog. My daughter takes her service dog everywhere... and I mean everywhere. She travels extensively whether it be by car or flying around the country. She has a 85 pound Bernese Mountain dog as her service dog and he has racked up a lot of frequent flyer miles flying the friendly skies of United with my daughter... and on private jets as well. My daughter and her service dog live a good life... :rofl

Here are some pictures of my daughter's Bernese Mountain service dog Ajax. I think you can appreciate my statement he and my daughter live a good life.

Bob

Riding in her car with his raincoat on.

At LAX bags packed waiting on his flight.

Scrunched on the floor in coach as there were no bulk head seats available so he had to tough it out.

Flying private which as you can see is more to his liking.

My daughter's and my son's Berners with my Border Collie mix.

281 - 300 of 354 Posts