Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might have the possibility to add a bike to your stable in a year or so...your current ride being a late model Sprint.

Let's also say you want it to be fun, long distance capable, and somewhat offroad capable, too. Bikes that have crossed your mind include (but are not limited to) KTM Adventure or Supermoto, Buell Ulysses, and the 07 Tiger. Part of your criteria is adding variety to your riding experience.

The real question here: As far as the Tiger's concerned, would you think it would be too much like the Sprint for it to add variety?

Discuss. (let me clarify, off-road, in this thread, means forest service roads, not single tracks.)

Oh, and please do not bring up anything that is built by Suzuki.

[ This message was edited by: SR1 on 2006-11-21 22:04 ]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wildcard, I don't think so. Everything I listed is a liter bike, and carries a little bit of wind protection for touring. I still want the performance on the road, not just a dirt bike. (fwiw the Scrambler IS dead sexy)

[ This message was edited by: SR1 on 2006-11-21 22:07 ]

·
Registered
528 Posts
yes,
anything I could do on a new tiger i could probalbly do on my RS,logging roads included.Not that I`d want to,But I have given thought to some more serious dual purpose models.Having started riding on dirt bikes,I know how far real capable dual pupose can take you.And all you really need is 250 to 350cc.
A super moto,that may be a way of having it all, with the right tire choice...hmmmm

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I have heard really good reports about the Kwaka KLR single 650..

A mate a work is looking at getting one of the 06's in his stable to compliment his Bandit 1200 (sorry you did say not to mention Suzuki!!)

Kawasaki KLR 650

A bit different without the excessive costs.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
That's nice. and cheaper to run no doubt. What is the recommended retail?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't mind the Bandit talk. I just know the V-S****m (I don't even want to write it) is right out.

The KTM Adventure and the Supermoto both have merit...as does the Buell.

I really do wonder though if the Tiger would be too similar to the Sprint.

·
Registered
259 Posts
What about one of these? A true hooligans dual sporter, it's light, it's fast (enough), and it will willingly spray dirt all over your mother in laws new Lexus. AND, it comes with blue smoke. You can take it anywhere and it'll do the ton on the slab.

They're a bit hard to come by, though.

TDR250

[ This message was edited by: Yimm on 2006-11-22 00:25 ]

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-21 21:53, SR1 wrote:
Oh, and please do not bring up anything that is built by Suzuki.
Sorry SR1 I'd be tempted to go for the SV1000S and the DR650SE. That would give me a vtwin sports and a reasonable capable off road single all for about AUS$23K on road. That's a hard to be combo.

The SV1000S is not great long distance as it's only got a 17L tank. I guess the second best alternative is to keep the Sprint and just buy the KLR650 or DR650 as it's stable mate.

Russ

·
Registered
134 Posts
Depends on how mad you want to be.

I know you're not really intending to do 'hardcore'dirt, but BMW have something pretty cool.

HP2

Then again, I hear the Aprilia Tuono is a real scream, if you can live with the servicing costs.

Tuono

Thing is, I understand the new Tiger is more road orientated now, so it may not be as suited to those forest roads.

:cool:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm going through similar thought processes. I already have a '02 Sprint ST and a HD Road King, so there's a bit of variety ... grin! I'm liking the Uly, too, but honestly, it's just to unconventional for me. The Tiger looks interesting, but too much like the Sprint, I think. The Aprilia Caponord lights my fire, but the dealer network is sparse and the cost and availability of maintenance and repair parts is simply exhorbitant. BMW's are much the same.

I think I'll be looking for a good used Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom. Basic, no frills, well received by their owners and the reviewers, and priced right.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeez, SaddleTramp, you actually wrote it in here. Man, I didn't want to see anything about that bike. Have you ridden one? It's like having an out-of-balance lawn mower under you. Next time you come up with a thread I'll start posting about my fromunda cheese or something, just to get you back.

I'm gonna go hurl now...thanks.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
SR1, I've had the same thoughts lately. I was leaning toward the '05 or '06 Tiger for a second bike. But as I read more, it was clear that bike is heavy for offroad. So I dug deaper and came across this site. Hope it helps. Don't get turned off to the KLR650 until you read this. This guy did his homework.

Check this site

PS I just bought myself my first "expendable" dirtbike to practice. I'm looking forward to getting a KLR650 because Triumph doesn't offer anything for this type of riding.

PPS I love my Sprint! I just want to see what's up those dirt roads once in awhile.

PPPS I just read your second post where you say you still want performance on the road. Get the KTM Adventure!

[ This message was edited by: Whisperinsmith on 2006-11-22 10:23 ]

·
Registered
313 Posts
My impression is that the new Tiger is not much more than a styling exercise of the Sprint (no offense intended). By that, I mean a "more comfortable" seating position with the styling of a big trailie. Oh, and with fully adjustable suspension. Upside down forks. And radial brakes!!

FWIW - I have been having a hard time getting the KTM SuperMoto 950 out of my mind. It is fairly costly but seems to have high quality componentry. I have heard nothing but good of it, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts