Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am enjoying my 1999 TBS immensely but the more I ride the bike and explore the mechanicals of the machine, the more questions arise. First and foremost, who in the hell designed that double trouble airbox? I have ruled it down to either a frustrated dyslexic engineer or the Anti-Christ. I spent some of the weekend with my Haynes manual and wrenches seeing how the whole thing is set up. On my prior Hinckley Twins and a current Rocket III the first things that found a home in the storage shed was the stock airboxes and of course, the AI systems. Currently my TBS is running 3 into 3 D&D's with what appears to be the stock air filter and boxes. I surmise the jetting is stock also, but I have not pulled the carbs to confirm this. The bike pulls like a train with tons of torque but fades before reaching redline with popping on decel which I understand is a character trait of these models. I have been through all of the set up info here on the site and I am really on the fence about doing away with the airbox and going pods or modifying the stock system with some increased air flow with appropriate rejetting either way. I would also be interested in how folks who went the pod route maintained the perch for the side cover top pins and seat release lock if you do away with the secondary box. To add to the mix, I really like the stock appearance of this motorcycle and pods do impact this. Finally, does anyone have a list of what header systems are interchangeable on the TBS to either do a two side set up or two on one side as I believe was original on the 99 model. The D&D's are ok, but I would like to look at some other options. Thanks in advance for any input from those of you who have found the "sweet spot" on these classic machines......

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am running my 95 Triumph Thunderbird without the aux. air box. Just mount the lid of the box and you still have the mounting pegs for the side cover and one screw hole for the seat lock, which is all that is really needed.

·
Registered
694 Posts
TBS Pods

GBC: Email me at [email protected], and I'll go over what I've done on my TBS, and my next door neighbors TBS. I'll give you the options of the stacked vs the one on each side exhausts. If you are interested in changing out the D&D 3 into 3 stacked pipes I've got an option for you. Cheers, tommyturbo2

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let the games begin.......

Since my original post I have gleamed allot more info thanks to Tommyturbo and others. It appears that the decision to POD or POKE (holes) in the airbox has been a T3 dilemma for quite awhile. Next week I ordering a K&N filter, a new airbox just in case I decide to go back stock or screw up the current one with the dremel tool, and make the back half of the primary box disappear. (Thanks again Tom for the pictures.) There will be an assortment of jets and shims in the same order to hopefully hit or get close to the sweet spot on the first try. I was surprised that the air boxes are still available from the dealer and not a bad price at $68.00. My choice is based on the fact I just like those damn cheese graters and the stock look. Wish me luck and thanks to all who take the time to post jetting info and help a fellow triple rider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts