Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that we all love our bikes but lets hear what motorcycle you think has it all.

I am referring to creature comforts, ergonomics, handling in the twisties, power, price, storage space, etc....

Your Triumph will not have its feelings hurt. I promise.

For me I say the Yamaha FJR-AE

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
'Has it all' is obviously going to be a very different set of demands, depending on the rider and what sort of riding they do but for me it`s the 1050 Speed Triple. I do a varied mix of riding but the bulk of it is riding hard, stunting and scratching on local mountain roads, so it this the perfect bike for me. It will run with all the litre class Jap sportsbikes on everything apart from very fast racetracks. It`s fantastic for wheelying, too!

It has a short wheelbase so it`s very flickable and is great on really tight mountain roads. It also has a comfortable riding position, and has the capability to cary a fair bit of luggage so it will tour quite well. My wife has just come back from a 10 day, 5000km tour on her Speed triple, with no aches or pains!

It`s narrow, very light and easy to filter through stationary traffic, so it`s a good commuter and best of all, the triple engine is a gem. Instant grunt from 2k through to the redline.
It`s not a great bike for carrying pillions but I never have to carry a pillion, so that`s not an issue. I removed the rear pegs when I bought the bike!

It is also, IMHO a very tough looking bike. When we stop at the cafe, it`s usually the one that gets the most looks.

I would think that apart from those with financial constraints, I have a feeling that most people who answer this thread will probably already own the bike that ticks the most boxes for them

·
Premium Member
17,498 Posts
I'm going to require my do-it-all bike to have bodywork. Wind protection is just too valuable.

Until you brought up storage space, I was going to say my Daytona. But I'd have to put some hard bags on Misty to put her in the running if that's part of the criteria. So I'll say the Sprint, or maybe the VFR. All the really big sport-touring bikes lose out on weight or fuel efficiency. All the 160+ HP sportbikes lose out in fuel efficiency too. The current VFRs take a hit for complexity (is that complicated valve system really worth it?), and the '98 generation were better looking too, but you had to come up with your own hard bags. And if I'm going to do that, I can do it for my Daytona, which is better than the VFR in several other ways.

So the Sprint gets my vote. Bonus points for the second-best looking stock exhaust in motorcycledom. I love those triple pipes poking out from under the posterior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am pretty partial to the Speed Triple, but wait, I own a FJR-AE too! For me, these two bikes cover everything, hooligan to distance.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Triumph Rocket III

Hide will be shocked when I tell you which one I think is the best. It does fine in the twisties, low center of gravity, cruises over a hundred forever with out breaking a swet and it is lighter than a lot of bikes which have smaller engines by far. Yes the one and only Triumph Rocket III.:p

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've been seriously thinking about picking up a Street Triple lately. Make a nice addition to my stable and my Bonnie wouldn't get too jealous.

·
Premium Member
17,498 Posts
Hide will be shocked when I tell you which one I think is the best. It does fine in the twisties, low center of gravity, cruises over a hundred forever with out breaking a swet and it is lighter than a lot of bikes which have smaller engines by far. Yes the one and only Triumph Rocket III.:p
I am kind of shocked; I thought you'd said you were trading it in on this:

... all 125cc of it!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Lee,
The last time we saw that pic of you & the Rockett, Morgan Fairchild was in it----what gives?

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
BMW K1200GT. Rode one in May. What a nice bike. Not the fastest, but no slouch either. Comfort was through the roof. Other than that I'd go with an FJR without the thumb shift.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The Victory Vision.
One test ride was all it took. But I took two (so far) anyway. :)
I test rode a Victory Vision at Arlen Ness's deakership in Dublin, Ca a few months back. I was looking for a stylish new touring bike to maybe replace my '03 Goldwing. It's comfortable but way too slow for the claimed horsepower. Every bike I own except possibly my '09 Bonneville is considerably faster. I'll keep my 'wing for now. Maybe Honda will upgrade the new Goldwings when production is moved to Japan in January. Overall, my Goldwing does everything the best of any bike I own although when the weather is nice, my Rocket III is usually my first choice ...

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I test rode a Victory Vision at Arlen Ness's deakership in Dublin, Ca a few months back. I was looking for a stylish new touring bike to maybe replace my '03 Goldwing. It's comfortable but way too slow for the claimed horsepower.
That's weird, did you mention this to Ness?
The owner of my Vic dealership was a motorcycle racer before a shop owner. He can ride any bike he wants, but every night takes the Vision home, and rides it like he stole it. Having ridden a handful of Victory bikes, they have PLENTY of torque & horespower. In fact, I spun the rear wheel on my 2nd Vision test ride, 2-up. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
That's weird, did you mention this to Ness?
The owner of my Vic dealership was a motorcycle racer before a shop owner. He can ride any bike he wants, but every night takes the Vision home, and rides it like he stole it. Having ridden a handful of Victory bikes, they have PLENTY of torque & horespower. In fact, I spun the rear wheel on my 2nd Vision test ride, 2-up. :)
Yes, the salesman I spoke to is Ness's cousin. He suggested I came back and ride it again after they installed aftermarket pipes and when it had more miles on it. (It only had 340 miles when I rode it). So, a month later I went back and rode it again with over 1,000 miles. It was louder with the new pipes but no faster. Besides being slow, the throttle response was also lacking. Maybe it's because I'm used to riding large, fast motorcycles but I thought the Vision was supposed to BE fast. My Honda VTX 1800 is much faster than the Vision and my Rocket III, Suzuki M109R, GL1800 Goldwing and Rocket III are all faster than my VTX.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Besides being slow, the throttle response was also lacking. Maybe it's because I'm used to riding large, fast motorcycles but I thought the Vision was supposed to BE fast. My Honda VTX 1800 is much faster than the Vision and my Rocket III, Suzuki M109R, GL1800 Goldwing and Rocket III are all faster than my VTX.
I have ridden the Vision and it rides fine, but when you stack it up against the RIII it pales to the Rocket's power. That said the Vision offers more for the long trips in the way of the power adjusting windshield, pull back bars, over all aerodynamics, ability not to tip if dropped, stereo set up...etc. As much as I love my Rocket if I was going on a week trip I would prefer to use the Vision.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have ridden the Vision and it rides fine, but when you stack it up against the RIII it pales to the Rocket's power. That said the Vision offers more for the long trips in the way of the power adjusting windshield, pull back bars, over all aerodynamics, ability not to tip if dropped, stereo set up...etc. As much as I love my Rocket if I was going on a week trip I would prefer to use the Vision.
It may not be as "cool" but I'll opt for my Goldwing over the Vision any day... My GL1800 Goldwing is much faster, smoother and handles better besides offering more protection from the elements. If the Vision were faster I would have added one to my collection last July. I really wanted to like the Vision but it left me uninspired... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I do not have an unbiased opinion. Unbiased, and opinion are by definition, mutually exclusive.

I have to agree with Lee, that for me, the rocket does it all. It can run slow with all of the hardleys, cover 630 miles in 10 hours and not leave you with bleeding kidneys, attack the curves harder than anyone who has not ridden one will believe it can, and brings more pleasure to me than anythng else I can do with my clothes on.

Also with Lee, I would show the pictures of Morgan Fairchild with my rocket, but they are NSFW.

Sorry guys.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If the temperature allows it, my first choice is my Rocket III as well. My wife and I went out to dinner on it this evening.
It was in the high 50's which is pretty mild when you're dressed for it.

·
Premium Member
17,498 Posts
Also with Lee, I would show the pictures of Morgan Fairchild with my rocket, but they are NSFW.
Believe me when I say, we do not want to see pictures of you, Morgan Fairchild, and Lee on any motorcycle. Especially if said pictures are NSFW; I'm giong to go think about something else before I have to decide if they are NSF Mind's Eye! :p

1 - 20 of 50 Posts