Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day. I recently took my '01 Bonnie to Perth (Western Australia) for the 50,000km service. Needed a new tyre and I figured since it was a major service I would get the Triumph dealer to go right over it. Left my mobile number and said to call me if anything out of the ordinary cropped up. Spent the day in the city and caught up with a friend at Royal Perth Hospital - was running a bit late by the time I got back to the shop. The young bloke behind the counter told me the bike was ready but there was something they needed to talk to me about. At that point the workshop manager/salesman took over and told me I shouldn't jack the bike up by the sump. I was a bit confused by this and told him I never had. He told me to make sure I didn't in the future and that the sump had a "little fracture in it but they had fixed it up for me"...... I remembered a week or so back I had heard a "ping" as something bounced off the bike but hadn't been able to find where it hit and put it down to that.
Anyway - as I said - I was a bit confused by this and was in a hurry to get under way as I had a 200km return trip and it was getting later and later. I also had a ride planned for the next day and had to wash & polish the bike when I got home because it had pissed down on the way up to Perth. Thinking nothing more of it (foolishly) I headed off.
Imagine how thrilled I was the next day when I went out to the shed and there's a pool of oil under the bike. Turns out the mechanic at the dealership has cracked the sump during the service - presumably doing up the sump plug as there is some metal putty sunstance wiped all over the general area. I rang them up the following Monday and asked what they were going to do about it. Basically the workshop manager squirmed and lied and blamed everything from a design fault in the '01 model (has anyone heard of this ? I have always been led to belive the Bonnies are over- engineered to buggery) to it having been jacked up by the sump - only me and them have worked on the bike and I'm f****g sure I didn't do it ! I asked how it could be that the bike went in oiltight and came out with an oil leak and they knew nothing about it. The upshot is they won't accept any responsibility for the damage and have quoted me $580 for a new sump plus several hours of workshop time. They have "generously" offered me a 12% discount on the parts. Rest assured they won't get another cent off of me.
Has anyone else had a similar experience ? Do I have any legal comeback on the shop ?
Any advice would be appreciated cos I have just stripped the FLH down for a rebuild and I don't have another grand to throw away.

Cheers

Philthy

:evil:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mate. That's bad news. You should get back onto them. Get it fixed elsewhere and send them the bill. Threaten to take it to the small claims tribunal which I am pretty sure exists throughout Aussie.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'd speak to the owner and let him know it is an issue with his shop. There is a huge difference between fatigue failure, stripped drain plug, and damage from a strike. It is easy enough to tell the source of the damage.

I'd also be interested to hear if smearing jb-weld is a legitimate repair for something like this.

In the US, we have small claims which is easy to use. Unless he is certain this is something you did, he'd probably not want to go through that. And I'd have a mechanic, (wouldn't even need to be a mc mechanic) have a look at the damage to get another expert opinion.

I hate hearing about things like this. If a shop breaks something, they need to step up and correct it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
this could have wiped you out mate.very very serious ,they should never have let you ride of on the bike.some people dont give a ---- philthy

·
Registered
902 Posts
Very bad deal, keep pestering the local rep and see if that works. I have found that what used to be skilled mechanics are replaced by cheap and young technicians and you have to look at everything they do before you leave the shop. I took in a bonnie with what I told the shop had a bad coil and looked back to see the 19 year old kid (technician) with my carbs dissassembled! I tracked down the manager and he confirmed it was a bad coil.

I'll be honest, my dealer is great, their service if pretty good but dealing with Triumph customer service has been lousy, and after four Triumphs I will probably not own another one and probably get a Beemer.

·
Registered
566 Posts
They are very weak around the plug hole, it should be easy to tell if the crack was made by the mechanic or not. If they think it's a design problem they should speak to Triumph. And no, JB weld won't fix it.

I might have a sump for you, US$120 inc shipping.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. It is a raw deal to say the least.

I don't know anything about Aussie law so I can't help you there.
However I can say that the dealer should have never let you drive that bike the way it was and
.....if smearing jb-weld is a legitimate repair for something like this.
That is a 1/2 *ssed and next to worthless.
There are only two ways to fix it. Replace the case or have it welded by a certified welder. Anything else is ignorant or a temporary emergency fix.

You might try talking to the owner of the shop. The service manager might be trying to cover his or the mechanics butt hoping that you will just go away.
The were fact that they would slather on JB weld and call it fixed is quite telling.
I would not let this slide. It's going to be a pain but I would take it to the hilt.

Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the opinions/advice fellas. Currently looking through the WA consumer protection legislation for guidance. There's a local dealer recently moved to town (was previously happy to travel to the dealer I bought the bike from 5 years ago) so may take it in for their opinion.

Jojje - apologies for my ignorance - do you have a shop or something ? Wouldn't have thought too many people would have a sump just lying around ? Sounds like a good price and a good option to me. Amazing how a little oil leak in a bike that has given you no problems for 50000km can suddenly erode your confidence . . . . . .

Cheers
Philthy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mechanics are a pain. You should read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. He talks about the same type of situation. The Triumph mechanic around here was a real a$$. He said he wouldn't even service mine since I bought it at another dealer. Thankfully, they're out of business, which leaves me without a Triumph mechanic, but I wouldn't have taken it to him anyway.

I'd buy a Haynes manual and perform all the servicing yourself. As for the current situation regaring the dealer, I'd say you're screwed. Hey, it happens. The only thing we can take away from incidents like these are experience.

As for the JB Weld, my dad has a Suzuki TS250. He was replacing the drain plug once and used some teflon tape to seal the deal, which eventually craked the case. We JB Welded it (since it's that white metal that cannot be welded... by us anyway) and it's held up for five years. It's not what I'd call the "right" way, but it will work.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Phil, what a shocker!!! I lived in Fremantle up to 2002 for 14 years and bought 2 new Triumphs from the dealer there - JCS Motorcycles - don't tell me you got that***** service from them??? John and Judy and Bill were always real professional with me and very nice - was it one of the newer dealers, or has that shop been sold?
Hope you can sort it - the new sump from Joje sound the go - good luck, Pat

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jojje - holy ***** !!!(can't post what I actually said when the photo of your drag bike downloaded !) I can see why you wouldn't have much use for a stock sump. Have you a link to your shop ? Where can I find out details about your beast (HP, ET's etc) ?

DrPat - I can neither confirm nor deny at this stage but it isn't a new shop and JCS is still owned by John . . . . . . . . .
If it were that shop I haven't spoken to John yet.

:wink:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Just another good reason to do your own work! Mine 2 yrs old never seen the dealer since new! A real bummer. Marine tex I used to use on things like that on my boats. We used to fix cracked blocks w/ it. Will last longer than the pot metal. :???: :cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
philthy not very good news on your behalf ,bought mine from jcs and even though i havent taking it back that much (only done 6000 kms) that sort of work is really not good for the industry.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sue them! dont accept it and I would name and shame them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the advice/opinions. I have been in touch with Jojje and will take him up on his generous offer. Great to think that the bike community will still help out a total stranger on the other side of the world !
Cheers Jojje - I owe you a beer !
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts