Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi was just about to buy a tappet block drift then thought perhaps someone on here who lives close to me could lend me one. I live in East Devon was thinking of tackling job over Christmas break thanks.Jonner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in Exmouth and have that tool. I am happy to lend it out .
Hey Rambo Exmouth that's really close I'm in Sidmouth was out in Exmouth Sunday at the Bank had a belly full of beer watching diamondogz (local band) would be great if you can lend me your drift thanks very much.Jonner.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Hi thanks for that did take this job on once before about 35 years ago armed with big hammer and brass drift did manage to get it done but on videos I've seen it looks so much easier with correct tool cheers .
Yes, with rambo so close the correct tool is the wise choice ( I wish I was close to rambo! He's a good man!). Cheers from Canada!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Hi Jonner, Rambo is indeed a very good man & skilled mechanic. I personally thank rambo for his generous offer.
In any case don't even think about not using correct tool. A very skilled mechanic may be able to use a drift of some sort with out damage, but the real tool almost guarantees a safe removal & installation. As you drive block back in, putting turning motion on tool allows block to rotate for perfect alignment as block moves. Again block must be moving.... NEVER attempt to rotate block unless you are driving it in or out. You can drive out just slightly where oring is still covered & back down while giving turning pressure. Do this small movement as many times as needed. Mark block with marking pin as to which way you want to turn it. Both sides so you don't get confused. I put small straight edge into block against tang & measure to cyl spigots to get block aligned. I feel a well aligned block reduces tappet/cam wear. Deburr/smooth bore in cyl for block so it doesn't tear oring on assembly.
Don

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Hey Rambo Exmouth that's really close I'm in Sidmouth was out in Exmouth Sunday at the Bank had a belly full of beer watching diamondogz (local band) would be great if you can lend me your drift thanks very much.Jonner.
Jonner, call me in the week after 9 am on 01395 264640. Any day or Evening.Then you can arrange to collect the tool. I do have all of the tools you might need for Triumph twin repairs including a 2lb hammer and chisel plus the hacksaw. I saw Diamondogz about 15 years ago David Bowie type group in his Ziggy stardust days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Rambo that's really good of you I am working in Woodbury for a couple of days next week , diamondogz yes still doing Bowie plus glamrock lead singer Steve he's got a really nice T140 .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Jonner, Rambo is indeed a very good man & skilled mechanic. I personally thank rambo for his generous offer.
In any case don't even think about not using correct tool. A very skilled mechanic may be able to use a drift of some sort with out damage, but the real tool almost guarantees a safe removal & installation. As you drive block back in, putting turning motion on tool allows block to rotate for perfect alignment as block moves. Again block must be moving.... NEVER attempt to rotate block unless you are driving it in or out. You can drive out just slightly where oring is still covered & back down while giving turning pressure. Do this small movement as many times as needed. Mark block with marking pin as to which way you want to turn it. Both sides so you don't get confused. I put small straight edge into block against tang & measure to cyl spigots to get block aligned. I feel a well aligned block reduces tappet/cam wear. Deburr/smooth bore in cyl for block so it doesn't tear oring on assembly.
Don
Thanks so much for the brilliant advice really appreciate it .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts