Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Toronto..I have a 2000 LegendTT. I've been having some coolant overflowing from the reservoir when I shut the bike off, even in "comfortable" weather. I've kept the coolant level in the reservoir between the two lines. The rad fan does work. I picked up a new rad cap & t-stat on Saturday. I'll throw the cap on tonight. If the probelm persists, do I need to completely drain the coolant to change the thermostat? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
The two lines on the reservoir are misleading. When the coolant is completely cold, the level should be about 2" below the lower line. The lines on the reservoir are for when the coolant is fully heated up and expanded.

You may just have an excess blowing out thru the breather.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
That's interesting. The coolant level on mine (when cold) was on the minimum line when I took delivery of it and on the two occasions I have changed the coolant since, I have refilled to that level. Never had any overflow, though.

Is there also the possibility in Jimpat's case that there is air in the system?

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
That's interesting. The coolant level on mine (when cold) was on the minimum line when I took delivery of it and on the two occasions I have changed the coolant since, I have refilled to that level
You may fill up to the minimum line, but where does the level settle after the bike has been used for a while?

It could be air in the system, or worse still, a blowing head gasket, but it's always best to try the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the past, I've always maintained the coolant level at the minimum line (when the bike is cool) without it ever overflowing. I think I'll do a drain, flush & fill, change stat and rad cap (the simple stuff as Slinky says). It might be just air in the system or one of those parts, hopefully not the dreaded worst case scenario! The bike only has 25,000Km on it..having said that, I've already had to replace the starter motor! A new motor would have cost me almost $700CDN but I got a used one on ebay for $125US. Thanks for your responses, I appreciate it...Jimmy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts