Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to start... Oh, lord.

I have an '01 Legend.
I was in Iraq for three years (yeah, I'm an idiot!), and only got home every six months and rode the bike. Last summer it wouldn't start, so I drained the fuel (looked like ORANGE JUICE!!!!), replaced it, the bike started and ran well. When I stored it, I stored it with Stabil, etc. Now, I'm home for good, texas weather is great and I wanna ride!!! It turns over, but won't fire. I replaced the plugs (just a good idea anytime, once you figure out that center plug deal), checked for spark, and lord, have plenty of fuel going to the cylinders. Still won't fire. Can't figure it out. I right now have the plugs out, dried them, and am airing the cylinders just in case it was an extreme flooding issue.

What else?

Also, when taking the tank off the frame, I noted that the breather hose/rollover valve is missing. Not unhooked, but completely freaking missing. Is this the problem? Where can I get another?

I really don't want to borrow a trailer to take the thing about 60 miles to the dealer...

HELP!!!

Rick Hoppe

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
sounds like your carbs probably need a clean - I'd clean out the filter too. Is the battery over 3 years old? If so I'd likely replace that too.

roll over valve wont be the problem - and yes this can happen - the hose from the tank splits and the whole ting falls off - adding wire hose clips will stop it happening when you get a new one. The dealer is likely the only source

·
Registered
728 Posts
You could clean the jets. Soak them overnight in carb cleaner and use a magnifying glass and single strand of wire to clean them or just replace them... they are # 38's for 36mm kehins.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You can really use any tube to replace the hose from the tipover valve. I replaced mine with a black hose laying around from a '69 Bridgestone.
Just use something because sometimes fuel gets forced out the tube and without it it'll end up on your alternator or in that area.

How's Fort Hood? I was stationed there '87-'90.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts