Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Does this help , to understand ?
Yes, thanks Jan that's as I understood it. WSC mentioned grounding as well. I can see that the jumper tells the CDI that the stand is up, but does that cover ALL of the failsafe system or does the Grounding do that?

·
Registered
136 Posts
@ Jump the sidestand switch to ground and you eliminate any "Safety fail" for the ignition. (Not true for the starter; the clutch switch is still affecting it.)

I think WSC has already answered this question.

But same as what you wrote:
as I say I'm not an electrical expert.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
There are two "safety sense wires" on the igniter. Grounding either one of them bypasses the safety feature. Grounding the sidestand switch does exactly that. The condition of the second sense wire is then irrelevant. It is there only so that the engine can run with the side stand down, but only if the trans is in neutral.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
There are two "safety sense wires" on the igniter. Grounding either one of them bypasses the safety feature. Grounding the sidestand switch does exactly that. The condition of the second sense wire is then irrelevant. It is there only so that the engine can run with the side stand down, but only if the trans is in neutral.
Thanks, with everything we've tried and tested I'm feeling it's the Ignitor. Hopefully I'll have a replacement next week so fingers firmly crossed when it arrives.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The Ignitech unit arrived today. A straight plug in, fingers firmly crossed and it started first time. Thanks for everyones help.
We got there in the end. Let's hope that's all the ignition problems over, at least for a while.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Now you have to start fussing with the programming, and adding a throttle position sensor! ;)
I've left the PC cable in the Box! That's definitely a step too far right now. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts