Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, need a bit of help/information.

Took my Legend into the garage for a maintenance mid-April. Other than the usual stuff (tyres, carb-balance, etc), I had a problem with it stalling at low revs. They originally thought it might have been rust in the carbs which they cleaned out, but the problem still exists.
They then say they've checked ignition timings with a strobe, and noticed that occasionally it misses a spark. They've swapped the coil box with that from another Legend, yet still the problem persists.
Anyone throw some ideas my way?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
test the ignition trigger under r/h crank cover and the wires in between it ,the coils and back to ignition box

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
By "....swapped...coil box...", do you mean they swapped an 'ignition 'coil, as in one per cylinder located under the tank, or do you mean the 'Igniter' (control box) next to the battery, behind the right side panel?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I'm with Mike here - need more specifics on what part was swapped out. There are 3 ignition coils, and a coil on the pick up snesor under the LH cover...

I'd still suspect the carbs. Unless they thoroughly tore them down and untrasonically cleaned them, they still could be dirty. Also, why did they suspect rust? If there was an upstream source contributing to this, it will need to be eliminated, or the problem will return. Sure they said rust, and not varnish?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'm with Mike here - need more specifics on what part was swapped out. There are 3 ignition coils, and a coil on the pick up snesor under the LH cover...

I'd still suspect the carbs. Unless they thoroughly tore them down and untrasonically cleaned them, they still could be dirty. Also, why did they suspect rust? If there was an upstream source contributing to this, it will need to be eliminated, or the problem will return. Sure they said rust, and not varnish?
+1.
Also, it is not uncommon for a timimg light to sometimes misfire, depending on type and age.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AFAIK it was the 'ignitor' that was swapped out. When I went to pick up a loan bike from them, the guy pointed at a black rectangular box somewhere near the battery

They said they'd stripped the carbs out and found rust. The bike itself had been standing outside with only a cover over it through most of winter, barely ridden (live in a flat, so no garage to hide it in). Unknown as to HOW they cleaned it out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well if they found rust, and the bike's been living outside all winter, then your tank is obviously full of it. The tank needs to be cleaned and sealed before you do anything else. Then the carbs and fuel line and filters will need cleaning again. I've had a Thunderbird and a Legend that I bought that were exactly like this.

·
Registered
299 Posts
AFAIK it was the 'ignitor' that was swapped out. When I went to pick up a loan bike from them, the guy pointed at a black rectangular box somewhere near the battery
My T Bird was stalling from time to time and had a hesitation on take off. Replacing the coils with nologies fixed my problem.
Original coils seem to be a common problem although some have no probs.
I would check and lubricate all the connections to the coils and HT leads also if sitting out in the weather.

cheers
Murray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts