Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Good deal, anything that makes the jobs easier. Mine was pretty simple with a spark plug socket I had with the rubber inside. But I’ve read that some are too thick to fit in the well.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am able to use a Craftsman spark plug socket on the middle cylinder. The trouble that usually (always) have is that after I torque the plug down, the rubber inside the socket will not release from the spark plug and then the extension pulls out of the socket, which is now stuck down in the spark plug well. I have to fiddle around (a lot) to get the socket back out.

This sounds like a good alternative. :)

Noel

·
Registered
85 Posts
Guys,

That is the tool in the tool kit. Off course some of you may have bikes without the kit. As a owner of a 98 bird, I will tell you that it is a stamped tool nothing like a real socket, but if you don't get carried away will last along time. I got in the habit of not over tightening the center plug and kept a piece of 3/8 hose in kit to start the plug and if it falls back down to recover it.

ride safe

Dan

·
Registered
120 Posts
The trouble that usually (always) have is that after I torque the plug down, the rubber inside the socket will not release from the spark plug and then the extension pulls out of the socket, which is now stuck down in the spark plug well.
Magnetic spark plug sockets are brilliant for exactly that reason.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I used an 18mm spark plug socket which was thin walled but still too big to fit tin the hole. I turned it down to 22.5mm (fortunately I have access to a lathe) and used a 75mm short extension. Still a bit of a fiddle to use but it does the job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is the tool from the took kit. I have been looking for one for years and just found these available. Bike Bandit also offers these but it is hard to find them even on the websites because they only show them for the Thunderbird. I had already started a small collection of 18mm sockets. Some are too long, some are too wide/thick... but this one is just right. Using the 12mm hex key leaves something to be desired but it's better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I finally found a source for a spark plug socket for the #2/center cylinder for Legend TT / Thunderbird. They are new Triumph branded parts. I stumbled across this. I bought it from 2WheelPros but I also found it on Bike Bandit. I used it yesterday and it's the real deal.

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/2000-triumph-thunderbird-tool-kit-assembly.html?partnum=T2300107:
I finally found a source for a spark plug socket for the #2/center cylinder for Legend TT / Thunderbird. They are new Triumph branded parts. I stumbled across this. I bought it from 2WheelPros but I also found it on Bike Bandit. I used it yesterday and it's the real deal.

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/2000-triumph-thunderbird-tool-kit-assembly.html?partnum=T2300107:
Yes that is the tube spanner I have, I use the tube then a 16mm long socket over the smaller end with an open ender spanner for the middle plug and get the tube out with bent long nose pliers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts