Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Don't know if it matters, or if ti's intentional, but, I'm thinking you have the headlight ears reversed left for right. Something about the headlight bucket looks odd, too.
Yes, the headlight ears are not original. There were no holes for the indicator. The shape is also different.This is the picture shot at the seller i bought from.
The bucket is steel welded to the instrument plate and chromed. The buckets are original neither. The holes are on the bottom and not on the side. I am thinking to cutting off the rev counter and add two small indicators instead one for oil pressure and one coolant temperature.

Yesterday i calibrated a NTC and glued to the engine outlet coolant hose. I dont trust that chinese temp gauge. Today i will calibrate that and determine the fan switch temperature.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Took off the rubber seal from the radiator cap (means less pressure in the cooling system) thermostat not used. The temperature (according the chinese gauge) reached 110C when the fan kicked in (95C switch) went down to 90C when it stopped. There was a some 20C difference between the temp gauge and the calibrated resistor NTC with the latter showing much less so this experiment failed. Still dont know what is the exact temperature of the coolant coming off the engine. The radiator was not leaking at all, finally. Made a small trip around the block :) I will buy the radiator anyway.
There was a small rasping noise from the front middle of the engine (at idle) which disappeared after a while then came back and finally disappeared. I was afraid that something with the cam chain first.
My father pulled throttle to max accidentally (alcohol level high), the engine was already at working temperature :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ok, wrench on the way to me, i will get it in the afternoon.
Meanwhile, i was looking for alternative sources for head gasket. It is around 80 pounds from the UK. Desperately, contacted the hungarian dealer, he was also surprised how expensive it is for this model. Price is well over 100 pounds.
So called one of the manufactures making head gaskets based on samples. Initial price is around 20 pounds.
Anyone has experience with non OEM Triumph head gaskets? Are they any good? Any known alternative source with quality confirmation?
Thank You!
Hi. Did you purchase an aftermarket gasket? I'd be interested in an alternative to the ridiculous priced oem! Been having issues with my Super3. Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Hi. Did you purchase an aftermarket gasket? I'd be interested in an alternative to the ridiculous priced oem! Been having issues with my Super3. Thanks.
Yes, it works until now but the bike was not used just started occasionally. The three holes on the cam chain side are a bit off as they were on the removed gasket.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi. Can you disclose cost,and where to purchase from? The new oem one I fitted recently wasn't exactly concentric with the cylinders. Out by about 2mm? I contacted the supplier ,but the process involved with getting a replacement,and the recent experience I've had with Triumph,put me right off!! I 'll keep fingers crossed😕

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Merry Christmas!
Brought some parts with me for polishing.

Hi. Can you disclose cost,and where to purchase from? The new oem one I fitted recently wasn't exactly concentric with the cylinders. Out by about 2mm? I contacted the supplier ,but the process involved with getting a replacement,and the recent experience I've had with Triumph,put me right off!! I 'll keep fingers crossed😕
I will search for the contact. Its a gasket maker manufacture here in Hungary.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Its [email protected]
No info on the price in my mails, maybe in the posts. They had it in stock so no sample needed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
One thing i almost forgot but this question about the head gasket reminded me that one of the three hole threads in the engine block holding the side of the cylinder head is broken, the bolt was spinning inside. Left it with thread locker but i will have to do something with it before it loosens. To use a helicoil i will have to take off the cylinder head again which i dont want to do.
What if i dont use the third bolt here?
There is a thread repair from loctite as an easy option. Or adding soft copper wires to the thread to catch the bolt (using it along with thread locker).
:unsure:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Do you mean one of the three on the outside of the chain case? If it doesn't leak, I wouldn't worry about it. If the thread locker holds it in it should be fine.

That said, are you sure you can't install a helicoil in place?
Thank You!
Yes, one of the three small bolts, M6 as i remember.
Soon i will disassemble it again to adjust the valve shims. You may remember that i forgot to measure the shims, only measured the gaps. Then i will check if i can install the helicoil.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Ok, the saga continues :)
Radiator arrived. It is ok in general, mounting points are accurate (including the side panels) but the plastic grill is impossible to fit because the radiator is a bit thicker on the edges. I will have to insert a spacer ring between the mounting tab and the grill and sort a longer bolt. Its about 5mm misalignment.
IMG_20200118_114917.jpg IMG_20200118_123714.jpg IMG_20200118_123743.jpg

161 - 171 of 171 Posts