Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is going to France for a few months this spring with her job and I will join her for a month, at which time, she and I will tour the south of France and beyond. She intends to ship her '01 Legend over (company will pay, rather than rent her a car). So, between buses and her bike, she'll get around the area as needed. Now, my question is, where can I find a sissybar for her bike? She has said, she would feel more secure with one when riding with me around the French country side. This is a trip of a lifetime for us and we want to make the most of it! Anyone from there or has been there, please share all you wish about the south of France area. The city in which she'll be based is Aix en Provence.

I haven't started looking for a sissybar yet. You guys are always my first source for everything Triumph. Thanks!

[ This message was edited by: DragonNester on 2007-01-19 06:20 ]

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi Robin,

Jack Lilley are still showing the Legend Sissy Bar on their (mail order) website, so I guess they are still available through the Triumph dealerships.

Some years ago we had a week in Aups-en-Provence, which is a small town close to where you are going to be. The largest gorge in Europe is very near (Gorges du Verdon) and is a very beautiful area. (Totally different to the Grand Canyon).

You may like to read a couple of Peter Mayle books before you go? A Year in Provence and Toujours Provence (short stories) which you should find amusing and set you up for better understanding the local communities.

Being Spring, you may like to invest in some lightweight waterproofs (intra-day showers).

Ciao,
Geoff

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
If the Legend has the same rear subframe as the TB/TBS then the http://www.sprintmanufacturing.co.uk item would work. You can have it with or without the rack.

If you order it from France in euros you'll pay less than if you pay for it from here in dollars - due to the lousy USD/GBP exch rate - assuming of course you're not buying your euros with USD :-D .

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've done a lot of touring in France/Europe and you should have a great time - although you are going quite early in the season. As a starting point, you might find this helpful: http://www.alpineroads.com/index.php

There are some great biking roads without going into the high Alps (many of the high passes don't open until mid-summer).

I'd definitely head along to Cannes / Nice / Monaco as the riviera coastline is very attractive, with mountains only a short distance away. You can ride round parts of the Monaco GP circuit too! Cannes is the only place I've seen someone 'bump-parking' a Ferrari - it's a pretty weathy part of Europe. BTW: You can rent Ferraris, Lambo's etc. if you have a power-assisted wallet.

Depending on what you want to see and do, public transport in Europe is generally a lot better than it is in the US. The TGV (train) will get you to Monaco quickly and it's a nice place to wander around - as is Nice etc.

Avignon is well worth a look - ride up Mt Ventoux if you head up that way.

The French are pro-bike and very aware of two wheelers. Car drivers will generally try to get out of your way to let you pass - but they will also expect the same courtesy from you if you want to just dawdle along.

Happy to suggest bike routes for you if you want to PM me for more info. To be honest, I think France is a beautiful country, so you are unlikely to be disappointed no matter where you go.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the information. As usually this site rocks!!

I think I'll wait on the sissy bar until I get to France.

It sounds like a great motorcycling area!

I'll probably pm some of you once there and ready to tour.

When it's all over, I'll try to post some pix.

I posted some pix of the "Tail of the Dragon" in my photo album (hwy129 - 318 turns in 11 miles) if any are interested. It's close to where I live in Tennessee.

[ This message was edited by: DragonNester on 2007-01-20 06:58 ]

·
Registered
375 Posts
You'll love France, been loads of times but unfortunately in the car. Try the Ardeche area, some good biking roads, also Port Grimaud is a nice place if you get to the south.

·
Registered
33 Posts
THERES ONE ON EBAY THIS MIN.

Type-in 'Triumph Legend' in Motorcycle parts and Accessories.

Standing at £67.00

1 - 7 of 7 Posts