Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2001 Legend TT which has done 12000 miles. It has been running fine until a few weeks ago when after about half an hour of riding, it went down to 2 cylinders (the exhaust from the right cylinder #3) was cool. I had no choice but to carry on riding keeping the revs low and after about 10 minutes, it came back onto 3 again and was fine for the rest of the ride.
This happened again the next time I rode but this time after about an hour. Same thing again - #3 cylinder stopped running.
By the time I got the seat/tank and coil cover off, it was back to 3 again and was fine all the way home again!
I replaced the coil, plug and lead on that cylinder but I'm still getting the same problem. Anyone help?:confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
there are three things that an engine needs for combustion, spark, fuel/air and compression. You have already checked the spark. I doubt it's compression, so next is to check the fuel/air supply. There's a good chance it's a dirty carb. The needle may be sticking closed. There could be a bit of trash blocking the fuel flow intermittently. With that many miles, it's probably not a bad idea to have the carbs serviced anyway. I think there is a screen filter where the fuel line connects to the carb.

something to consider, look for a gas station in your area that sells straight gas and not E-10. try a tank and see how it runs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it must be a fuel problem as if it were the compression, it would do it pretty much all the time, and I think that with the exception of the plug/coil and lead, the other ignition components would affect all cylinders.
It has only done 12,000 miles, so I don't think carb wear will be a problem. The only thing left is the fuel system. Before the problem started, I fitted a K&N element and slightly larger main jets and remember that the carbs were really clean inside.
I think I'll have to run through the fuel system and flush it all through and check any filters and fuel lines.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
You could try unplugging & replugging the igniter connector a few times after spraying some contact cleaner if you have some, but either way this helps to wipe the contacts.

Igniters occasionally fail, dropping 1 of the outputs & can be intermittant, but you'd want to make sure it isn't carb related first. An internal wire break is also possible too, tho' I'd expect more of a misfire than a complete drop for 10mins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts