Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just installed a new handlebar which I'm pretty happy about. I'm ready to go on my maiden voyage when I crank it and where it should start it instead dies. My first suspect is one of the switches on the handlebar since that is all I messed with, but I'm just not sure.

Any thoughts on specifically which one? Like I said, it will crank and when I'm used to it starting it instead dies.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So, quick update. I took apart the left switch assembly (what's the proper name?) because the turn signal cancel didn't feel right. It fired up once and went back to not starting. However, I did notice the oil light stayed on until it fired up. When not starting up, the oil light turns off halfway through the start up and the bike doesn't fire.

*EDIT*
Spoke too soon. Just a coincidence, but now it is starting up. I find it strange and am worried I'll ride it somewhere and be stranded. I'll take apart the right side and verify that is all correct in the meanwhile.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Be aware the the left switch block has a cut out under the master cylinder that works with the gear switch to stop the engine starting in gear. There is also the side stand switch to consider. Make sure they have good connections. Also wait a little while once you turn the fuel on before trying to start the bike to allow the fuel to fill the carbs. Keep the battery fully charged with a battery tender as a less than full battery can stop the bike starting. Make sure the carbs are synchronized and it should start easy.
Brian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice. It has been starting fine, yet the procedure for starting has been different. One time I had to not hold the clutch in and have the kick stand down while another time opposite. Seems like those switches need some TLC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts