Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the ground mod and all ok. Fan runs as it should in the Orlando heat.

Still stumbles at low rpm. Since there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer or a decent dealer in Orlando and lacking a jacob's ladder.... I guess it makes sense to replace coils and wires :eek: - Unless someone can suggest an alternative.

http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/noprigcofort.html
http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/712123102.html

I read a thread where someone asked why we feel the need to fix something if it doesn't affect the operation of our bikes/machines. Having owned an airplane for 10 years and always striving for a 1:1 safe take-off and landing ratio, I know what my reasons are. Besides, Federal Law (US) states that - if it came with the aircraft from the factory it has to be operational regardless if it's required for safe operation.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Off idle stumble is a symptom of a coil going out but, it could be caused by dirty pilot jets also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Low rev stumble

Yep, a low rev stumble, picking up at higher revs is classic coil failure but as stated, just to complicate things, is also a symptom of dirty pilots. If you've got the time / skills it would be worth giving the carbs a good overhaul before forking out cash on coils ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dirty Pilots

There's something prophetic about that statement.

I'm going to do both coils and pilots. Couldn't hurt.

I guess my point about fixing things stems from the fact that the thought of losing an engine in the middle lane going 80mph on I4 in Orlando scares me more than losing an engine at 5000 ft ever did.

Thank you for all your input.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Riding 100 miles on two cylinders, in 100 deg summer heat and summer holiday traffic sucks too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
had the same symptoms, seems everyone with a legend has had or will have the same symptoms....,replaced coils with nology no change in sputtering, but wanted to change anyway knowing failure was inevitable. spent about 6 months of fuel additives and cleaners figured easier than a rebuild. assumed it was pilot jets, ended up being a super tiny amount of debri in the duck bill filter. and i do mean a tiny amount. cleaned it out bike runs great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm new at wrenching and have more time than money so I don't have the option to take it to the dealer and I'm actually enjoying the learning process, frustrations aside so before ordering $300 worth of coils and wires, I decided to clean the carbs first.

Given that this was a first for me - it went pretty well and they definitely needed a cleaning. After reading all the threads however I'm not convinced that I did the best job I could do since no magnifying glass or high pressure air was used. Also cleaned the duck bill filter.

While reassembling, I broke the threads on the carb side of the throttle cable. The local dealer said they had them is stock at the factory in GA so I ordered it from them - although I wish there was a better quality part that's not made of aluminum or whatever it's made of that broke so easily.

I keep reading about a procedure using a bicycle pump to get fuel back in the carbs but can't seem to find the steps to take. Can someone point me in that direction and by all means suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New Nology coils (still waiting for new wires), cleaned carbs, cleaned air filter, new oil. Runs like a top so far. Idle is rock steady at 1k. The coils were the bottom line.

Gravity works.

I'm a little concerned about my carb job since I don't seem to need any (or much) choke to start the bike. Also notice a bit of white/blue smoke (very little) when it first starts. It goes away almost immediately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts