Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the bike was having stuttering issues, would get up to about 4 grand rpms and sputter so i assumed fuel delivery.(ive had the known issues with the coils in the past so i figured i would order the nologys while i messed with the carbs..) first i cleaned every component of the carbs while awaiting new coils from new level powersports. the coils arrived in a torn and ripped envelope. 2 coils hangers were damaged and would not mount to the bike. so i returned the two. the new ones arrived a week later while i still had the carbs out. so i put every thing back together at once including a new k&n air filter, new coils and a clean carb system. i took the bike out the first couple of days riding and it ran excellent, and felt strong. yesterday i rode it about 1 mile into my ride and all of a sudden it misfired a few times, felt like coil failure again. i kept riding, about 75 miles with no problems, except in my own head of when is it going to do this again. i took it out this morning and i t misfired once and then ran strong. in the past i had the same random misfiring.

what is going on, where do i go from here..

could the one new coil i didnt send back have been
damaged in shipping.
pickup sensor? never been replaced..15,000 miles on
bike.
or just deal with it
any help would be appreciated, im at witts end here.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Could be crud in the tank getting in there, wrong jetting if it's been modded in anyway, or could be the beginning of a failing pickup coil (sensor).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response...pretty sure its not fuel system related, had the same symptoms as a failing coil, eratic speedo, misfiring \when riding.but not consistent enough for me to say bad coil. just hoping someone can give me a little info on the pick-up sensor... and its symptoms when failing, or where to buy after reading other posts its probably not a bad idea to change

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yep I`d replace the sensor.My local shop told me they tend to gradually fail 30,000 ish.Dont forget to accuratly set the gap to the rotor.Its voltage critical.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
The random misfiring sounds like it could be an electrical connection problem. The coil connections need to be good as they handle a bit of current. The loom side terminals can be pulled & (carefully) tightened up a little with pliers. Unplugging & replugging can help to clean the Igniter & pick up coil connectors. A partial break in a wire is also possible. For an intermittant problem like this, running the engine on the stand with tank & panels removed and moving/jiggling the loom wiring, esp near relevant connectors can help locate a partial break fault.

When the bike is running (in gear) the sidestand switch must provide a ground line to the Igniter for it to run. This line also goes via the (optional) alarm connector IIRC. When the stand is down, a separate grounded line from the clutch/neutral switch combination keeps the Igniter running.

A wiring diagram will be essential to track down this kind of fault. The Haynes manual (recommended) has one or you could PM me & I can email you a scan.

Another possibility is the pick up coil (aka crankshaft position sensor) gap. Spec is .6 to .8 mm, but the tighter end of that is better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts