Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started a Legend (2001) restoration project. (I'm back to bikes after 25 years) It's basically all there but the carbs were in a box. There are no vent or fuel pipes. I see there are two vent connectors at the top which I assume need a couple of pipes fitted and run to fresh air somewhere? There are also two inlets for the fuel line (The manual only shows one) One has a duckbill filter and the other has nothing in it. Are both these for fuel supply so that I need a T piece from the tank supply or is one a feed and the other some kind of vent/overflow if the floats stick? BTW I have had it running albeit rather rough!

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have the Mikuni carbs on my Thunderbird but they are similar to your Keihins. Yes, the T-connectors between the carbs on the top side should have vent lines run to a place where there is still air. On mine, those lines run up and and then down behind the airbox and end up in the u-channel between the air box and the big frame downtube.

Regarding the fuel line connections - I'm not sure if the Keihins are different here but my Mikuni carbs have a T-connection (with the little duckbill filter) between two of the carbs and then a straight pipe connection between the other two carbs. It sounds like you are saying there are 2 T-connectors instead, is that right?

Noel

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have taken a photo (I will when I get back to the garage) Looking from the rear of the carbs, the RH connector has the filter and the LH is just a connector without a filter. Both are T connectors into the carb fuel supply line. My original reference to a T connector was that, if both of these carb connectors are for fuel I'd need a T on the main fuel pipe from the tank to feed both connections.

Thanks for the explanation of the vent pipes

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
There should be only one fuel inlet. Why would you feed fuel through a screen on one side, and without the screen on the other? If you're sure that's what you have, just cap off the one without the screen.

Items 9 and 10 in the parts breakdown.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi WSC,
Thanks for your reply. Basically, instead of 9+10 in the parts diagram I've got 2 lots of 9! It does seem a bit strange. I thought one might be used as an overflow. I'll blank it off as you suggest or I might be lucky and find the spacer (10) on ebay and swap out the redundant T piece.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi WSC,
Thanks for your reply. Basically, instead of 9+10 in the parts diagram I've got 2 lots of 9! It does seem a bit strange. I thought one might be used as an overflow. I'll blank it off as you suggest or I might be lucky and find the spacer (10) on ebay and swap out the redundant T piece.
triumph trophy’s from the 90’s carburetors had two inlets, you should check part number that you have on carb bodies.
Instead of blanking another inlet you can add one more fuel filter and y connector on the line from petcock.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/182369975105
If it’s trophy’s carbs that you have, they probably got bigger jets, if they got bigger jets you should use pod filters or k&n to standard box and use different (unrestricted) mufflers.
I used trophy carbs in my TBS, they works perfect ( original ones were damaged and it was impossible to buy ones with one inlet at the time when I was fixing it)
Off course you should change gaskets in those inlets, bowls, valves etc...
Good luck

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bwmxo44 Thanks for your reply. I've attached a couple of photo's including the pipes that are fitted. I'm all new to this so not sure what type of pipes these are but there're not the standard type I had intended to refit. This may all stack up with your thoughts. I wanted to restore this bike to as near original as possible. I assume I could get a standard refurb kit for the carbs to revert them assuming they are from an earlier Trophy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carbs from the picture are originally dedicated for Legend. You need to open up the bowls, and check which jets they got.
Great, Thanks for your help. BTW I'm loving your Bike. If mine restores to that condition I'll be very happy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts