Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Long time listener, first time poster.

Has anyone had any luck fitting a these to a Legend or other Hinkley triple?

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/chrome-17-inch-shorty-reverse-cone-megaphone-muffler.html

I'd like something a little louder and meaner than the stock megaphones, but I'd like to avoid having to rejet the carbs if i can avoid it.
A friend mounted a set on his Thunderbird Sport and didn’t have to rejet. They are loud however but if they have a removable baffle you could try stuffing one or two stainless pot scrubbers in the baffle and wrapping the baffle with high quality exhaust “wool” packing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My experience is rejetting is only needed when fitting air filter pods necause you intake so much more air you need a it more fuel. Empty pipes just mean you have a bigger butt to fart louder nut the.meal stays the same.

BUBI 0_0

www.lamiatriumph.it

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My experience is rejetting is only needed when fitting air filter pods necause you intake so much more air you need a it more fuel. Empty pipes just mean you have a bigger butt to fart louder nut the.meal stays the same.

BUBI 0_0

www.lamiatriumph.it
Actually improving both intake and exhaust flow should result in a need for re-jetting. In my book, if you don't have to re-jet for the exhaust system you put on, you wasted your money. You are not getting any more power. Just noise. Kind of reminds of the kid next door with his lowered Honda. ...J.D.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Actually improving both intake and exhaust flow should result in a need for re-jetting. In my book, if you don't have to re-jet for the exhaust system you put on, you wasted your money. You are not getting any more power. Just noise. Kind of reminds of the kid next door with his lowered Honda. ...J.D.
Yes, that is exactly the point for open pipes. Noise.
Arguably the stock pipes are open enough to yeald max power already

BUBI 0_0

www.lamiatriumph.it

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Making noise is easy. If you want noise, I have a whole drawer full of drill bits out in my machinists chest. I can get you noise a lot cheaper. Or you can save up a little of your lunch money and do it right. (Been tuning engines since the late 1950's). ...J.D.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
CV carbs meter fuel based on the difference in pressure between the float bowl (at ambient pressure) and the venturi. When you decrease the resistance to flow in the intake system you raise the pressure in the venturi for a particular flow rate, which reduces the motive force on the fuel, so the metering goes lean. Changing the back pressure from the exhaust does not effect the pressures in the carb, so, generally, has little to no effect on fuel metering.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Not willing to get in to an 8 page thread on material that has been covered TOO many times. You tune yours and I'll tune mine. ...J.D.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Long time listener, first time poster.

Has anyone had any luck fitting a these to a Legend or other Hinkley triple?

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/chrome-17-inch-shorty-reverse-cone-megaphone-muffler.html

I'd like something a little louder and meaner than the stock megaphones, but I'd like to avoid having to rejet the carbs if i can avoid it.
Those are just rebranded EMGO mufflers ( same part #), I put a set on my CX500., I thought they had a good sound to them ( not too loud ). I also think if you keep your bike outside in the weather that these won't last to long

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts