Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought 04 Thrux w/2,900 miles- really nice, like new ,with some super goodies. Problem is a left turn wobble at 60 mph or better. I have superbars on the LSL triple clamp kit, prog. springs, fresh fluid, intiminators and a Hyde damper set on the first (light) setting. Stock original rubber. All alignments appear to be correct. This is disconcerting to say the least-I can lay that baby into a right hand turn and it tracks steady and solid under full throttle or light throttle -no matter, it works. Get some speed and flip it into a left hand turn and it gyrates like a stripper at the county fair. Weird. I can't figure it out. Maybe I need to put some Pirellis on it? Lots of tread slightly- evenly worn on both tires. What is this deal? anybody got an idea. ? I have read that Thrux 's do wobble at speed but this one has been over 100 a lot and never wiggles straight on, just when turning fast left handers-- help!

·
Registered
509 Posts
i have a 2010 with racetech front, ohlins rear, fork brace and steering damper and mine does the same over 65 mph in right and left turns. i think it is a rake and trail problem inherent in thruxtons.the front end is definately light.when i was at a vintage bike museum in solvang,calif. i noticed all the english bikes had a lot of padding near the front of their gas tanks-on the ride home i was climbing over the front end and getting my head over the handlebars on some super fast backroads and that seemed to help a bit-when i took my progressive springs out and put racetech emulators and springs in that helped quite a bit-instead of the bars wagging,i got a annoying shimmy-good luck,if you fix it let me know how

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you still have the original Metzler's on the bike that is most likely you're problem. Do a search and you will find many problems with a shake when you are going 55 to 65 mph or close to this. I had this with mine, 05 with original tires (Metzler's). I started to get this shake after the tires had a few miles on them. I got some Perelli Sport Demons and never had the wobble/shake again.

·
Registered
667 Posts
+1 On the metzlers.
I changed them out for Bridgestones and the problem went away. The first time i rode with the new rubber i could not believe the difference it felt so much more confident and stable. I use to get a very alarming wobble at around 45 to 50, but not any more.
Cheers John.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Check the fork alignment. If the forks are bound up and misaligned this could cause the problem. It's unlikely that tires would cause the problem to just one side. 95% of all wobbles can be attributed to misalignment. A worn Metzler front tire can cause the bike to wobble in a straight line but your only having the wobble to one side.

A couple of other things I would check are; wheel is properly trued, front brake drag, loose front axle bolts or front bearing wobble. You may as well check the steering head bearing for proper tightness also. Look at these now before one of them causes a real problem. Wobble to one side in a turn isn't normal, nor is it something you should over look.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys-new rubber coming up later this spring and the wrenches are coming out to check all and every setting -alignment front and rear. I just was hoping i could find a lazy old man's quick fix.....back to the garage..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts