Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hooked up LED turn signals in the front and back, and now I believe I may have blown the diode pack. When I activate the left or right i get six volts at all four turn signals. I checked at the relay flasher and out of the three wires. The ground is fine. One wire has 12 volts, and the other stays at six and half volts and when you activate the switch, left or right, the voltage drops down to like five. weird. Well. Anyone come across this? Where is the diode pack?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Man, it's been awhile since I changed my turn signals but I think you may just have it wired wrong. Your description of the three wires' functions sounds right on. Think about it. One is ground of course, one can be used for running lights (six and 1/2 volts) and one is for the turn signal (12 volts), because the turn signal must neccessarily be brighter than the running light. I believe they are going down to 5 because you have it wired wrong somehow. I did not install LEDs but it seems to me like that is what happened to me. You might want to try the twins technical talk forum.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you change the flasher relay along with the signals?
It's behind the left side cover

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need to replace that flasher relay, this is what i just reviewed by searching..
need to replace the flasher, then disconnect the turn signal indicator light. i think the indicator light makes it so the voltage is spread out to all four when you add LEDs.

What about the rear taillight? i installed a rear led tail light/brake light. it works fine, but is their anything i have to do with that as well?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Need to replace that flasher relay, this is what i just reviewed by searching..
need to replace the flasher, then disconnect the turn signal indicator light. i think the indicator light makes it so the voltage is spread out to all four when you add LEDs.

What about the rear taillight? i installed a rear led tail light/brake light. it works fine, but is their anything i have to do with that as well?
Taillight should be fine - it's something to do with the turn signal relay I think.
You definitely need the LED specific relay- this subject came up a few times before - check out this thread (it has nothetr thread in there too in the tech forum) all should be helpful
http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/102033-led-turn-signal-lights-bella-corse-help.html#post1189551

I still haven't got my idiot light working yet (nor the one in my head too!):D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It makes sense if they are all getting voltage no matter where the switch is if the idiot light is causing it. I am going to order the relay, disco the idiot light, yeah my idiot light should be illuminating by now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I created my own FEK from NewBonneville.com using the Shock Racing mini LEDs and ran into similar problems. I did my install in stages, start first with the rear. I added a flasher relay and hooked up the LEDs with the relocation brackets. Everything worked fine with the two rear LEDs and the front stock blinkers. When I swapped out the front, then be running four LEDs they all flashed at once. I tried every wiring combination, checked all my connections and still, nothing corrected it.

What I ended up doing was getting the guys at NewBonneville.com (who were very helpful through the whole process) to send me some resistors. Keeping the new flasher relay in place, I wired the resistors inline through the rear power wires. These apparently help dissipate some of the electricity. I zip-tied them out of the way under the seat so they wouldn't melt anything if left on for too long (as they'll heat up like a bulb). This turned out to be a perfect solution. All blinkers work, all idiot lights work... and I am a happy camper.

Let me know if you want me to post pictures or additional info on my procedure. Good luck!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pics of my solution....

So here are a couple of pics showing my solution. The white things are the resistors I'm talking about. I drilled tiny holes through the frame so I could zip them away from anything else. As I mentioned, they pull electricity like a bulb would so you don't want them sitting on anything that they could melt. For this to happen, you would have to leave the blinkers on for a long time, but crazier things have happened.

Once you get your resistors, all you need to do is wire them through the power wire, leaving the negative wire as is. Everything blinks as it should, all idiot lights work. Thanks to Tod and Brent at NewBonneville.com for their help.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey guys...
Havent been up for a couple of years due to riding & other projects..but.

I have went through the same thing yesterday after my K & S signals vibrated the mouting tabs off for the 3 rd time. (Standard 12 v bulbs).

(This is on my Thruxton)

1. Installed the Mini 5 signals (all 4)
from BC. & the relay.

2. all 4 would work in conjunction.

3. Figured to pull the idiot light

4. All signals work as the should.

Now here is my question:

Is there a Bayonet style LED (Just the bulb...direct replacement) that would work in the stock holder to avoid all the resistors being put into place?Or is that even been experimented with?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
430 Posts
Diode

Hey guys...
Havent been up for a couple of years due to riding & other projects..but.

I have went through the same thing yesterday after my K & S signals vibrated the mouting tabs off for the 3 rd time. (Standard 12 v bulbs).

(This is on my Thruxton)

1. Installed the Mini 5 signals (all 4)
from BC. & the relay.

2. all 4 would work in conjunction.

3. Figured to pull the idiot light

4. All signals work as the should.

Now here is my question:

Is there a Bayonet style LED (Just the bulb...direct replacement) that would work in the stock holder to avoid all the resistors being put into place?Or is that even been experimented with?
Thanks in advance

This will allow an indicator light or unpolarized indicator led with led turn signals. Everything functions correctly.

Part:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/16/scID/114/IMID/719

Instructions:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/installation/4709-21MC-0703.pdf

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks Shiloh.
1 more question:

I can keep the stock incandescent bulb in the indicator holder with this setup. right?

Just clarifying.

Better yet...what is the part# for an unpolarized LED bulb.
(The Kuryakin Part link just took me to their home page.)

Thanks as this seems like the easiest & cluterfree way of doing it.
Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts