Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm fitting some new LED turn signal lights that I bought from Mike at Bella Corse.
I plugged in the new relay and tested it with the stock indicators. Everything worked the same as with the original relay. Next step I then checked the new lights - I tested each turn indicator by touching their leads directly to the battery terminals to determine polarity and took note of which wire is +12VDC and which is ground. [yellow wire = +12V DC & black wire = earth]

After I wired it all up the idiot dash light didn't work and all four indicators flashed at once and no clicking noise from the relay which was present when the stock signals were working with the new relay.

I'm not an electrical wiz but I'm sure somebody out there in the forum might have an idea or had the same problem with the same lights.

I'd really appreciate any help!!

BTW The new lights are required because I'm fitting a fender elim kit that has the taillight only with a "plug 'n' play" harness which has separate wiring for the turn signals.

Thanks in advance
Steve

·
Registered
366 Posts
hey steve, i'm about to do the same, just haven't placed the order yet. i only need ONE relay for all 4 LED signals, correct?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey steve, i'm about to do the same, just haven't placed the order yet. i only need ONE relay for all 4 LED signals, correct?
That's right - it cost $19.99 - keep an eye on this thread (hopefully!) to see the solution to the problem!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Steve,

I did hear back from one fellow who installed a diode in series with the dash panel light and all is working correctly. I didn't have to do that on my 2004 T100... just plugged & played. Because both complaints plus yours are all very recent purchases, I'm thinking I got a bad batch of flashers. It would be very helpful to hear from those who have successfully installed the flasher with 4 LED blinkers.

I ordered more flashers and I'm going to test each one on my bike. I'm more than happy to send you a replacement.

/Mike

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve,

I did hear back from one fellow who installed a diode in series with the dash panel light and all is working correctly. I didn't have to do that on my 2004 T100... just plugged & played. Because both complaints plus yours are all very recent purchases, I'm thinking I got a bad batch of flashers. It would be very helpful to hear from those who have successfully installed the flasher with 4 LED blinkers.

I ordered more flashers and I'm going to test each one on my bike. I'm more than happy to send you a replacement.

/Mike
So you think it's the relay? Why would it work with the original lights & not the new LEDs? Do you want me to return the relay?
Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had exactly the same problem when I removed my rear mudguard. I brought a new relay but still had issues. I got around the problem by wiring in simple resistors, I experiemented and found that I needed two to solve the issue. I wired in the resistors to the front indicators so the resitors are housed in the head lamp shell. I havent had any problems since and i have been able to keep all the standard idiot lights. Try ebay to pick up resistors, cost about 5 quid I think.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been through installing LED's myself and researched the topic in great detail before finally getting everything to work. Try a couple things first BEFORE cutting into your harness and installing diodes.

1. Take the idiot light out. The flashers will likely work fine after this.
2. If the flashers work with the idiot light out, you can replace the idiot light with a NON-polarized LED flasher. You can do a search as there are a bunch of threads on this.
this is a link to the thread I started when having problems:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/99001-led-flasher-question-2.html

PM if you think I can help-

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been through installing LED's myself and researched the topic in great detail before finally getting everything to work. Try a couple things first BEFORE cutting into your harness and installing diodes.

1. Take the idiot light out. The flashers will likely work fine after this.
2. If the flashers work with the idiot light out, you can replace the idiot light with a NON-polarized LED flasher. You can do a search as there are a bunch of threads on this.
this is a link to the thread I started when having problems:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/99001-led-flasher-question-2.html

PM if you think I can help-
Thanks for the advice - I just remove the idiot light and hey presto, lights are working!! :)
So now I just need to read up about the non-polarized LED replacement for the idiot light and I should be good to go!
I don't know why I didn't bother looking for this in the forum before posting this thread!:eek:
Frustrated and in a hurry I guess! Next time I'll do a little more research!
Thanks again
Steve

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LED Turn signal lights & FEK installed

Here's a few pics of the final installed LED lights from Bella Corse with the Lucas taillight FEK from Brit

·
Registered
366 Posts
SICK!

on the BC site i see the "Cat Eye Fender Eliminator Kit",
and separately, the "Lucas style tail light". did you just get both and swap out for the lucas? also, i haven't seen those signal brackets before, did you fab them? sorry, i'm just trying to figure out exactly what's going on there, i'm stuck on some issues with my tail-end also.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm fitting some new LED turn signal lights that I bought from Mike at Bella Corse.
I plugged in the new relay and tested it with the stock indicators. Everything worked the same as with the original relay. Next step I then checked the new lights - I tested each turn indicator by touching their leads directly to the battery terminals to determine polarity and took note of which wire is +12VDC and which is ground. [yellow wire = +12V DC & black wire = earth]

After I wired it all up the idiot dash light didn't work and all four indicators flashed at once and no clicking noise from the relay which was present when the stock signals were working with the new relay.

I'm not an electrical wiz but I'm sure somebody out there in the forum might have an idea or had the same problem with the same lights.

I'd really appreciate any help!!

BTW The new lights are required because I'm fitting a fender elim kit that has the taillight only with a "plug 'n' play" harness which has separate wiring for the turn signals.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Steve,

I think this is the fix for your turn signals and the indicator light.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/0/scID/0/IMID/719

7.00 and has instructions.

Andy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Triton... glad to hear it worked out for you!
The idiot light is pretty easy to replace. The only key is that you have to use a NON polarized LED. All of the base 74 LEDs you can find on the internet (base 74 is the same as the stock incandescent idiot light and are direct plug in replacements) are polarized so the idiot light only works on one side of the bike. The WLED 6 from superbrightleds.com is a nonpolarized led and works great. It is also incredibly bright so it's a great upgrade anyways. The only problem is that the base is just a little too wide to fit in the socket. This is easily fixed by filing the plastic base down carefully with a fine metal file. Buy 2 LED's because you'll probably mess up the first try. The WLED 6 already has resistors built into the base so you don't need to do any other wiring to make the setup work. While your doing all this, you can order a couple colored base 74 LED's from the sme store to replace your other idiot lights (the other lights can all be polarized LED's). I wouldn't use the WLED 6's for the high beam or neutral indicators because it's WAY too bright. Just the regular base 74's work perfect and they are easy to fit. I actually left the stock bulb in the high beam indicator because even the base 74 LED was too bright for me.
Hope that helps

good luck!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SICK!

on the BC site i see the "Cat Eye Fender Eliminator Kit",
and separately, the "Lucas style tail light". did you just get both and swap out for the lucas? also, i haven't seen those signal brackets before, did you fab them? sorry, i'm just trying to figure out exactly what's going on there, i'm stuck on some issues with my tail-end also.
I believe this is the very first Lucas style taillight fender eliminator kit from Brit Customs - if you're interested in the same contact Sean & he'll sort you out (it's also slightly cheaper @ $150 than the othe FEKs he has). I modded it slightly because in the original position, the light fitting sits under the seat cowl about 1 1/2" - 2" in - I moved it back so the edge of the light is nearly flush with the cowl - just for better vision from behind! It comes adjustable anyway with a 2" slot to allow you to position it wherever you want.
The turn signal brackets I made myself from some 0.080" alum I had hanging around.

If you want more close up pics let me know & I'll post them or PM them to you

And thanks to all for the help too!:)

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mep7851 Thanks for the info - I'll get on that asap and I'll let y'all know how it works out!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
New BC Lucas Style FEK now Available!!

Thanks to my good Friend Steve to post our New FE Kit. We will be putting it up on our site in next 24 hours but want you all to know that they are packaged and ready for sale now. They come with our aluminum powder coated underplate, plug/play harness and even quick connects for your signals. (signals sold separtely). Kit runs $149.95 complete. Call me direct for more info ....And thanks again To my Friend Steve for the posting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts