Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[This is the same thread as in Club Cafe - sorry if you've already seen it!:(]

I'm fitting some new LED turn signal lights that I bought from Mike at Bella Corse.
I plugged in the new relay and tested it with the stock indicators. Everything worked the same as with the original relay. Next step I then checked the new lights - I tested each turn indicator by touching their leads directly to the battery terminals to determine polarity and took note of which wire is +12VDC and which is ground. [yellow wire = +12V DC & black wire = earth]

After I wired it all up the idiot dash light didn't work and all four indicators flashed at once and no clicking noise from the relay which was present when the stock signals were working with the new relay.

I'm not an electrical wiz but I'm sure somebody out there in the forum might have an idea or had the same problem with the same lights.

I'd really appreciate any help!!

BTW The new lights are required because I'm fitting a fender elim kit that has the taillight only with a "plug 'n' play" harness which has separate wiring for the turn signals.

Thanks in advance
Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
Steve...this is a common problem with adding LED's to signal lights. The Led's don't create enough of a load for the system to recognize that the lights are in use. I recently went through this when I changed out my Speedmaster Signal Lights with Led's. All works well now. You have to add in 2 Diodes to the wiring system. I knew nothing about this procedure till I talked to Matt on the Bonneville America Forum. He kindly walked me through the steps. Beyond this contact, I can't be of much help to you. I'm no electrician. Here's Matt's web site on the forum....http://members.optusnet.com.au/~matt_l/
Let me know if you need more info for contacting Matt. Don

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve...this is a common problem with adding LED's to signal lights. The Led's don't create enough of a load for the system to recognize that the lights are in use. I recently went through this when I changed out my Speedmaster Signal Lights with Led's. All works well now. You have to add in 2 Diodes to the wiring system. I knew nothing about this procedure till I talked to Matt on the Bonneville America Forum. He kindly walked me through the steps. Beyond this contact, I can't be of much help to you. I'm no electrician. Here's Matt's web site on the forum....http://members.optusnet.com.au/~matt_l/
Let me know if you need more info for contacting Matt. Don
Thanks for the info Don - useful info there! I heard of one other solution too and that is to use a non-polarized LED bulb for the idiot lights. This solution my be a little easier than fitting diodes! And there's one other thread (that I really should have looked at BEFORE doing this:eek:!) :

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...uestion-2.html

Cheers
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts