Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about replacing turn and brake signals on my Thruxton 1200 R with LEDs.
Mostly to get brighter lights, but also to lessen power consumption. I have some electric accessories
hooked up (video camera recorder, phone/GPS charger) which are straining already weak battery.

If there is an inexpensive plug-and-play solution? Just replacing bulbs with LEDs? I understand that some additional circuitry might be required to maintain blinking speed. Has anyone done that? Could you share links to parts and your experience installing them? How's the result? Is it noticeably brighter?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Most 1156 base 'bulbs' will work fine (as long as they're not too long). I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0739RCR3J/

To avoid fast-flash, mode 4 is the lowest current setting. In mode 4 the threshold for "fast flash" is around 300mA per side (3.8W total per side). I'd shoot for something closer to 400mA: that's around 5W total power per side for front + back.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To avoid fast-flash, mode 4 is the lowest current setting. In mode 4 the threshold for "fast flash" is around 300mA per side (3.8W total per side). I'd shoot for something closer to 400mA: that's around 5W total power per side for front + back.
Thanks! It looks like what I need. I am not sure I understood your "Mode 4" remark. Do these lights have adjustable modes? Or there is a "mode" switch somewhere on the bike? Please clarify.

Have you tried to replace the rear brake signal as bulb as well? Does it use the same lamp?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am not sure I understood your "Mode 4" remark. Do these lights have adjustable modes? Or there is a "mode" switch somewhere on the bike?
The electronics that control the turn signals measures the current draw. If it's too low, they flash fast to tell you you've got a bulb burned out. That current threshold is adjustable: there are four settings (1,2,3,4). Most LEDs will flash fast in the default configuration (1). See page 14 of the document below. FWIW, it's displayed on the LCD as "type" rather than "mode":

https://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9838039-EN.pdf

Have you tried to replace the rear brake signal as bulb as well? Does it use the same lamp?
Front and rear are the same (at least on the T100/T120). I replaced all four, but I re-wired the front to use 1157 base "flashback" bulbs so they also function as white running lights:

Switchback turn signals for T100

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the document and explanation about modes.

I also want to change rear tail brake light , not just 4 turn signal lights. Have you tried that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
On T100/T120, the brake/tail light is a custom designed driver board with surface-mount LEDs. I assume it's similar on the Thruxton. In theory you could replace the LEDs if you're skilled enough at that sort of thing. But, I doubt the driver circuitry can handle higher power LEDs. I wouldn't recommend trying. In practice, you'll need to unplug the assembly from the wiring harness and replace the entire assembly. There are a number of after-market tail/brake lights sold for various Triumph models. Usually, they're smaller than the stock assembly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you’re going to replace just the bulbs (halogen -> LED) check out this website. Some are pricey, but they usually use the latest, most reliable tech.

In the past I’ve also browsed their website to see what style bulb (and led type) v-LEDs recommends for a particular application - then searched for something similar on eBay/amazon at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I am thinking about replacing turn and brake signals on my Thruxton 1200 R with LEDs.
Mostly to get brighter lights, but also to lessen power consumption. I have some electric accessories
hooked up (video camera recorder, phone/GPS charger) which are straining already weak battery.

If there is an inexpensive plug-and-play solution? Just replacing bulbs with LEDs? I understand that some additional circuitry might be required to maintain blinking speed. Has anyone done that? Could you share links to parts and your experience installing them? How's the result? Is it noticeably brighter?
If you can find genuine Triumph led turn blinkers they are plug and play. I got mine from someone here is the US who got them from Triumph. Some after market ones might work but most will either work by changing blink mode with the “i” button or need a rectifier.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you can find genuine Triumph led turn blinkers they are plug and play. I got mine from someone here is the US who got them from Triumph. Some after market ones might work but most will either work by changing blink mode with the “i” button
Didn't you have to change the blink mode for the Triumph LED indicators? The instructions for them seems to indicate that you do.
or need a rectifier.
ITYM resistor (and you'll need one for each side if that's the case).

·
Registered
921 Posts
Didn't you have to change the blink mode for the Triumph LED indicators? The instructions for them seems to indicate that you do.

ITYM resistor (and you'll need one for each side if that's the case).
Yes for Triumph led blinkers. No resistor needed. Non triumph probably needed. But, some folks were able to use the i button only.

·
Registered
334 Posts
All that matters is the amount of current drawn by the signals. If the signals draw enough current, then you don't need to add resistors.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've replaced all 4 turn signals lamps on Thruxton 1200 R with these LED lights: https://amzn.to/2YcgBVD
The procedure took under 1 min. No "Type" change was required via the menu. Subjectively they are ~1.5-2.0 times brighter. Easy upgrade.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts