Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some new LED turn signals [see here] on my 07 Bonneville and they aren't working correctly. The wiring is correct but I think it might be a flasher relay problem. Has anyone dealt with this before? If so, how did they fix it??

Thanks.

·
Banned
976 Posts
I installed some new LED turn signals [see here] on my 07 Bonneville and they aren't working correctly. The wiring is correct but I think it might be a flasher relay problem. Has anyone dealt with this before? If so, how did they fix it??

Thanks.
You need either a load independent relay, or resistors on the led's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just did LED's on my 06 T100, You need to use 2 resistors in blinker wiring just on the 2 wires going to your blinker light in the dash. Led's have no resistance like stock blinkers so you need to add some with the resistors.There are several generic diagrams on-line if you google it

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you don't use resistors all your blinkers will flash if you use either left or right

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't use resistors all your blinkers will flash if you use either left or right
Yes, both sides blink, both front and back whether I use the left or right signal. Its like hazard signals.

So the solution is to add in a 3 prong relay like this? Do I just need one?
Thanks, everyone for your feedback.

·
Registered
125 Posts
you need diodes not resistors.
As Edd_e says follow @Rippers guide.

Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bringing up an old thread. Is there a clean way of installing the diodes without hacking up the factory wires?

Also have an 07 and just wanted to see if there's a clean way to install LED signals.

Thanks,
SC

·
Registered
421 Posts
I replaced all incandescent bulbs with LEDs in my 2009 Bonnie this year, even in the instrument cluster. The diodes go from each side's turn signal wire to the turn signal indicator lamp in the instrument cluster. I used 1N5818 diodes; they've got a much lower forward voltage drop than the generic 1N4001, so more power gets to the indicator lamp. The bleedthrough causing the 4-way flashing occurs right at the turn signal indicator .
The two wires going to the turn signal indicator (under the instrument cluster) must be cut, leaving room to strip some insulation and solder or crimp to both sides of the cut wires. One side of the indicator lamp needs to be routed to ground; somewhere nearby on the frame will do. The other side of the indicator lamp goes to the cathodes of both diodes (the lead closest to the stripe on the diode body); twist the cathodes of the two diodes together and solder or crimp to the unattached turn signal indicator. The anodes of the two LEDs each individually go to the two wires that were previously feeding the turn signal indicator. If you switch out the incandescent turn signal bulb for an LED bulb, get a bidirectional LED bulb so you don't have to figure out which way to plug it in. You can get a set of these bulbs from Newbonneville.com; they're much brighter than the stock incandescents. Make sure you insulate all bare wire and LED leads, preferably with heat-shrink tubing or at least a good quality tape.
Because diodes only conduct in one direction, when the left signals are powered, the power travels to the turn signal indicator lamp through the left-side diode and lights it but the right-side diode blocks the current now powering the indicator from traveling to the right side turn signals and vice versa, so no more 4-way flashing.
There's not a whole lot of wire to work with under the instrument cluster, so if you're not confident with soldering or crimping in tight places you'll probably want to enlist some help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts