Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not a new idea but thought I'd post what I've learned so far. I ordered all red bulbs as I thought that would be the best choice for preserving night vision but discovered that red was a very poor choice for the speedo...it works well for temp and fuel and is OK for the tach so long as you don't need to see the numbers (I'm OK with that), the needle and redline show up well. I put a green LED in the speedo and that made a big improvement, can clearly see the numbers after dark now. Anyway, here is a photo as things stand, I may try a green LED for the tach too but am reasonably happy with it for now...
Also be careful when loosening the nuts that retain the tach and speedo, one of mine was overtorqued at the factory and/or had loctite on it and I ended up breaking the boss in the instrument trying to get it loose...I was able to fix it but was not happy. So if the nuts are too difficult to loosen STOP and maybe try heat, an impact driver, etc. before something breaks...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking good m8.

I would be tempted to go all green myself. Looks classy.

JJ
I'm going to order some more bulbs and try different colors but green might not be best for the small gauges as the needles do not show up well...this is the case for the speedo too but at least I can see the numbers now. I did try amber and that was even worse than the stock bulb in the speedo. Anyway will post another photo with all green when I get the bulbs

·
Registered
351 Posts
I did wonder about the visibility of the needle with the green background. I thought it might have been the photo not showing it very well. That's a shame as the green makes a lovely backlight. Just a thought, have you tried blue ? Are the LED's cheap enough to experiment ?

Good idea from DEcosse to paint the needles, although it does sound like turning a small job into a bit of a pain.

Good luck with your quest and please let us know the final decision.:)

JJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts