Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a new company out of England targeting Triumph riders with its new LED Headlights. As our Rocket Roadsters have the same sized headlights as the Speed Triple they are only offering the one set but they are compatible to both motorcycles. I purchased and installed a set on my Rocket. The installation was fairly straight forward, although the instructions were a bit weak.

I offer this information here only because these are half the cost of the Daymakers and JW Speakers I had been researching. I have both a Speed Triple and a Rocket that I need to attract better sleepy-driver attention to on my morning commute. I have not yet tested them at night, and will update my review when I have had the chance.

These are not as complex as the more expensive ones, but the quality looks good and they are definitely brighter than stock. The company is called 3 Piston and can be found on Facebook and on it's own website.

Next, I have a new horn for the Rocket (can you sense the sudden urge for better safety?). I'll install that next weekend.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, those look crazy!

Yes, I will give a review once I have ridden in the dark. I will also have my wife take a photo as I ride up the road so we can check out the light spread.

Another member here has found an even more affordable set on EBay, and he said he would let us know how they work out once installed.

There are so few resources for our Rockets. I am still agonizing about an exhaust purchase. I think it worthwhile to share when we do find something.

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I liked the Jardine pipes, can't get them now. They were a full system, nice rumble and gave you another 20hp
Yes sir, those were the system I thought I would get. Folks had posted videos that showed how great they sounded. This beast deserves to sound like a beast.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I'm in the same boat Sean, I leave for work in the mornings before sunrise and the stock lights suuuuck! I run my high beams full time, so let us know if these work for you. Have you looked into the guy on R3Owners custom headers and exhaust? Can't remember his name, Bryant? Anyways his stuff looks awesome, the craftmanship on his welds and bends are top notch, the guys that use his stuff have nothing but good things to say. I'm leaning towards his stuff but for me it'll definitely be next year.

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I think his name is Paul Bryant. I have communicated with him once or twice on Facebook. I intend to inquire soon, once I am willing to finance that upgrade!

As for the headlights, I do know that my visibility to others has greatly improved. And at dusk they are great! I just haven't been out in the dark and the weather these last few days are keeping me from testing them. I'll let you all know!

·
Registered
135 Posts
i am definitely interested in upgrading the factory lights on my 2014 R3R; enjoying a week stay here in Panama City Beach and after you get off I65 South you have to venture through a maze of back roads with some mom/pop gas stations that often will have one pump no-ethanol but those roads do not have street lights and it can get plenty dark. I'm sure there are folks here who have made the journey. You cross the alabama to florida border and you still have quite a drive ahead of you.

Will leave early on the way back to Tennessee; hopefully my sunburn will have cooled by then :) @Sean- couldn't find the website for 3piston can you send?

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, here you go.

https://3pistons.co.uk/

They also have a Facebook page.

I still have not ridden in the dark. Tonight was the latest I rode and it still didn't get dark enough to really test how they improve my visibility. I can say for sure that they are brighter and I am more visible to others. And that was a major goal!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Sean. Will check them out and look forward to hearing what you think of them in the dark as and when.

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I was out late last night and had the opportunity to test the new headlights. The pattern immediately in front of The Beast was great, and the high beams were awesome! My view at a distance in low beam, however, was unimpressive. I didn't experience the disappointment in city traffic, but once I hit the dark back roads there were a few scary moments. Now, I ride with a tinted visor and that may be a small part of the problem. But I really felt like the light just stopped maybe twenty feet in front of me.

I do not yet own a service manual (I will in a few minutes, though) so I am unsure of the proper settings for the lights. I did adjust them, comparing the before and after by measuring where they hit the garage door. With the motorcycle about six feet back from the garage door I raised the beam by about four or five inches. I fear they are now right at that point where they may shine directly into the rearview mirror of the smaller cars in front of me.

I will try to ride in the dark again in the next few days.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks Sean, I have LED's on my ute I use as sptolights for roo's and emu's, and while they are very good and light up all around you the distance is not great, and I was thinking this would be the same with your lights on the bike.
I am also a bit concerned rhey may be too bright for oncoming trafffic even on low beam.

Nungers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Guys, I have just purchased led headlights similar to those. Another question I have is the availability of an LED taillight keeping the original shape or maybe an LED bulb. Any thoughts on that. Cheers

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Price? Ballpark?
Chris, if you click the link in my message above you will see what the exact current price is, but I paid around $400 for the pair (half the price of HD Daymakers and the JW Speakers versions). I think you can find them for half that on EBay.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Found these ( http://jack-be-quick.com/jack-shop/jack-shop-jack-be-quick-led-lighting/ ) from a company that I've dealt with a few times in the past; always with great products and very fast service.
I tried them on my Tiger and like it says in their website, they are awesome. Super wide and bright on the 3500's and long spots on the 2800's. Nice quality aluminum housings too. I'm pretty sure they'll work with you if you don't need the clamps or switch etc. Worth a look. About the same price point as Denali DR1 that I've seen on another bike, but much brighter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts