Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the archives the last time this topic came up was in 2018 and the jury was still out on the balance of performance, reliability, ease of install and cost. Looks like JW Speaker 8631 Evolution was a market leader at the time at $400 a pop. o_O Polling this group to see if there are other contenders now. My requirements are to beat my current Halogens
  • 1650/1000 lumens (hi/low beam)
  • 60/55 watts at 13.2vDC
in lumens, pattern, power draw, add a DRL ring and blinker half rings. To get the blinkers to work on our twin lamp system I'll need to get the right headlamp (facing bike) to not trigger the right blinker and vice versa, but...getting ahead of myself. On paper something like this appears to fit the bill, although a lower color temperature and 1500+ lumen low beams would be nice.

• Type:5.75" 5-3/4" LED Headlight DRL For Motorcycle
  • Beam Type:High Low Beam/White DRL/Amber Left Right Turn Signals
  • Shape:Round
  • Watt: 45W
  • High beam: 45W 2100LM
  • Low beam :18W 1350LM
  • DRL: 6LED/white6 LED/Amber 1.2W
  • Lamp Type:LED
  • Certification:CE, IP67,RoHs,DOT
  • Housing Material:Die-Casting Aluminum
  • Lens Material:pC
  • Working Voltage:12-30V DC
  • Color Temperature: 6000K
  • Working Life:Over 50000h
  • Working Temperature:-40~ 85 Degree
  • With rebreather: better waterproof, dispelling fog inside
Good or bad experience, sources and ideas welcome.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pinging the list to see if there are opinions on these newer LED options for roundy speedies.
  1. These direct replacement bulbs appear to have a lot of happy reviewers on Amazon and eBay. Open question on this one are brightness (claimed 12000 lumens is ridic), usable low beam pattern give the LED chip placement inside reflector bowl, and cooling (no fan, not that a fan would do much inside the bowl)
  2. The first mainstream manufacturer LED H4 pop-in replacements I've come across. Open questions are fit inside roundy bowl and brightness gains (claimed 1517 lumens is lower than halogen Osram high beam).
  3. Slew of eBay special replacement bowls that should fit inside the roundy claiming 2000-4000 lumens. This is one that would be stealth but there are many others including one that has install photos on a Rocket.
Install experience or feedback on Speedy appreciated.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Pinging the list to see if there are opinions on these newer LED options for roundy speedies.
  1. These direct replacement bulbs appear to have a lot of happy reviewers on Amazon and eBay. Open question on this one are brightness (claimed 12000 lumens is ridic), usable low beam pattern give the LED chip placement inside reflector bowl, and cooling (no fan, not that a fan would do much inside the bowl)
  2. The first mainstream manufacturer LED H4 pop-in replacements I've come across. Open questions are fit inside roundy bowl and brightness gains (claimed 1517 lumens is lower than halogen Osram high beam).
  3. Slew of eBay special replacement bowls that should fit inside the roundy claiming 2000-4000 lumens. This is one that would be stealth but there are many others including one that has install photos on a Rocket.
Install experience or feedback on Speedy appreciated.
I was looking at inexpensive LED headlight replacements since I have more time than money lately.
My guess, guessing since lighting is the secondary part of my business, is that an LED H4 replacement bulb is not going to be good. If it were an easy task, there are like a million ETC Source 4 lights that would have their HPL-575's replaced with LED bulbs in theaters everywhere. Granted, those have a more complex task, but still, the bulb and the reflector are designed as a system. The one that is OSRAM, I'll stand corrected if it really works, but it also isn't any cheaper than replacing the whole assembly.
I found a number of 5.75" LED fixtures on Ali, basically the same as eBay with maybe a little less buyer protection for a few $ cheaper. I too am hoping that someone here has bought some and can give a thumbs up, thumbs down!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts