Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got the smoked lenses for my stock signals from Newbonneville.com. I've been tossing up the idea of a smoked led headlight and from these posts and pics it's sealing the deal!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The light output makes it worth it... I love late afternoon to dusk to night rides catching the sunset and then taking the slow route home. I never really felt comfortable with the stock headlight once it got dark. I actually painted my chrome headlight bucket with VHT Night Shade lens tint. It was really easy to work with and I'd highly recommend it if you only want the smoked look. I put about 7 coats on my bucket; you obviosuly wouldn't do that with a lens. If you foul up, a little paint thinner will take it right off.

I will either use it on my turn signal lens or go with a whole new round LED signal.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've been tossing up the idea of a smoked led headlight and from these posts and pics it's sealing the deal!

That's not a "smoked headlight". It's just that the big thing in the middle of the headlight happens to be a dark gray color and the reflectors reflect that color. But the reflectors and lens are not tinted in any way.

FWIW the light output from these headlights is in fact phenomenally better than the stock halogen; I have the same type of headlight in my GS500 and a pair of them on my Jeep. But the stock headlight reflector/lens with the Advmonster R3 bulb I posted before is a notch or two better and still looks totally stock, doesn't have that "dark" headlight look (which I realize you may prefer...).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
But the stock headlight reflector/lens with the Advmonster R3 bulb I posted before is a notch or two better and still looks totally stock, doesn't have that "dark" headlight look (which I realize you may prefer...).
A notch or two better than the stock halogen or the Trucklite?

·
Registered
295 Posts
A notch or two better than the stock halogen or the Trucklite?
A notch or two better than the Trucklite-style headlight. One big difference is meaningful on a motorcycle and that's with the Trucklite style light, there's a dark area immediately in front of the bike about 15-20 feet or so down the road. You never notice this in a car because you can't see that part of the road anyway due to the hood blocking your view, but you notice it on a motorcycle. The stock light/reflector with the R3 bulb doesn't have (as much) of a dark spot in front of the bike and really does feel more appropriate for a motorcycle. Oh, and the R3 is at least a little bit brighter. The TL-style LED is like the light of 1000 suns, and the R3 is like 1009 suns.

I don't have an actual Trucklite brand light.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Trying to retain the stock headlight head shell (I prefer the classic/traditional look, although the Trucklite-style is closer than many), after much reading on the current crop of LED H4 replacements (seems like LEDs are in a constant state of evolution) have concluded that the fanless (passive) heatsink approach may be the best way to go for compactness and reliability (no moving parts).

Anyone tried these....
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-high-beam-and-low-beam-headlight-bulb/motorcycle-h4-led-fanless-headlight-conversion-bulb-with-internal-driver-2000-lumens/5323/12255/?make=78&model=3346&scc_id=1940&year=2013

I note there are several look alikes like the Beamtech on Amazon/ebay too!

Feedback appreciated. I know it used to be a no-no to try retaining the stock headshell, but looking for an update on opinions/experience. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
One big difference is meaningful on a motorcycle and that's with the Trucklite style light, there's a dark area immediately in front of the bike about 15-20 feet or so down the road.
I would add to this...meaningful on a bike, but not to a car. The low beam cutoff on the Trucklite lamp is a hard edge.
I'd dare say, almost zero light is emitted above the low beam cutoff line.

When going around curves or cornering with the low beams on, as the cutoff is so sharp, there is almost no light on the road where you are actually going. (The high beam is better, but that too has very little upwardly scattered light to help when you are really leaning it.)

This single thing has me considering going back to a conventional lamp or exploring other options.
(OR maybe building a corner sensitive auxiliary light system)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Trying to retain the stock headlight head shell (I prefer the classic/traditional look, although the Trucklite-style is closer than many).
The Trucklite unit sticks out WAY far... while the glass part does look more like a classic bulb...the unit itself protrudes oddly from the front of the headlamp shell. I did not like it.. I got it to stick out less, with a lot of work... but it still sticks out a lot (it looks odd).

Trucklite without any mods:
https://www.triumphrat.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=624936&stc=1&d=1539461060

Stock lamp:
https://www.triumphrat.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=624934&stc=1&d=1539461054

Trucklite after mods
https://www.triumphrat.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=624938&stc=1&d=1539461065

·
Registered
435 Posts
BMV...thanks for sharing...no idea that it extended that far. Another example of the risks of on-line buying before seeing.

Again, thanks for sharing. Definitely going to stay focused on an LED H4 replacement bulb, while retaining the stock headshell/reflector.

·
Registered
173 Posts
When I had my KLR I used a 100w/55w halogen bulb in the stock housing. It was either a PIAA or Hella I think.
I put relays right in the headlamp housing for both beams with a large wire right to the battery to reduce voltage drop (looking back, coulda just done the high beam relay)
This setup took that abysmal headlight and made it quite nice, while allowing the low beam to stay agreeable to other motorists.

I might do this same thing with either the stock lamp housing or maybe a Hella unit on the Bonnie. I'm tired of fooling with other types.

I like the powerful bright white (and DOT approved) light from the Trucklite, and I will try it a bit longer before abandoning it..but if i do, I will go that way.

I put good quality LED replacement bulbs in my Titan (pickup) and the light was a mess.. scattered, glary, focused in all the wrong places... sent them back.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I ordered and received this light about a month ago. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MBN28VW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I decided on just the bulb to keep the look of the bike the same. It was a really quick install.

Had my first night ride on Saturday and it was phenomenal. Lots of light on low and high beam, plus never had any flashing lights from the low beams. I now only need it to last for quite a long time.

Would recommend. GG

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Went to fit a LED headlight to the Bonneville. Opened up the headlight and hello whats that mess? the dreaded reg/rect overheating plug.
Chopped out the melted connector and hard wired the wiring , had to extend the wiring a bit as the oveheated wires needed to be cut short.

Checked the Battery voltage with the bike off and it was 13.7v (Li Iorn ) so I dodged a bullet there as the LI Iorn don't recover if discharged below 11 v. Fortutious I guess that I went to change the headlight.

Anyway it would be too hard to fit the Led headlight to the Bonneville as the headlight grill and the GPS power supply in the bucket caused problems.

So I fitted the headlight to the Thruxton. Will have to try it out one night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here are the photos I promised. Link to the headlight is above in my other post.

Hey man, I just received this headlight and plugged it in to the stock harness. I’m only getting Low beam for some reason but it was working with the stock headlight. Before I do any fault finding I was wondering if you had to change anything when fitting this light?

cheers!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nope. It was plug and play for me. The only issue I had with it was the tight fit into the bucket I mentioned earlier in the thread

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nope. It was plug and play for me. The only issue I had with it was the tight fit into the bucket I mentioned earlier in the thread
Yes it appears that I just had a poor connection in the plug. All working now!

Going through the bucket dilemma as you spoke about but its fitting now :)
It's a sturdy headlight

41 - 55 of 55 Posts