Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum for LED headlights and find a few with outdated links or brief discussions within another subject.

Am I correct that any 7" Jeep Wrangler or Harley Davidson light will fit on the air cooled Bonneville? Danny900 has a great review on one LED light but it is not available at amazon.ca. so I don't think I can get it Canada.

The prices seem to go from $50 what seems satisfactory to my needs to over $700 for the smart lights. Is there really a worth while reason to go half way or all the way to the top price?

Thx GG

·
Registered
215 Posts
Howdy GG,

I tucked one of 7” lights, recommended by Danny900, into the bucket on my 15 SE. It works fantastic and was worth every bit of the $50 or $60 bucks I spent on it. There’s a whole bunch of them on EBay as well, so if Amazon won’t come through for you, have a look there.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
For my 2013 T100 Bonne, I run a Philips LumiLED bulb in the standard bucket (my bike has the 5-3/4" Scrambler style bucket). Fitment in there was tight and I heard fitting LED bulbs with big heatsink fans etc was difficult. Then I found the type with flexible ribbon heat sinks....works great. Here is a similar type of a different make:

https://www.amazon.ca/BOODLED-Motorcycle-Headlight-Conversion-White-1-Pack/dp/B07KTW1ZPT/ref=sr_1_51?keywords=led+h4+motorcycle&qid=1550365053&s=gateway&sr=8-51

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links. I will probably buy something that someone on here has when I do get one. I also want to know if all 7" lights will work out of the box for the Bonnie.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a Trucklite style light on my GS500 (and a pair on my Jeep) and they work very well, but don't look the part on the Bonneville.

For the Bonneville, I have one of these (seem to be terminally out of stock): http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-r3-led-headlight/

I can't recommend it highly enough. Cheaper than the full trucklite-style assy, better light output, almost perfect stock appearance, just perfect in every way. Far and away the best mod I have done, especially in bang for the buck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
90941-5.
I also understand that its badged under several other names but I found the best price was on this one.
Landlocked, I was thinking of using the Grote light for my 2013 SE. Was it easy to connect the wiring? Is it simply removing the old one and then plugging in this one or do I have to re-wire the harness? I'm looking for something that is plug n play cause I'm not good with electrical. Also, I assume that I can use the same headlight bucket and front 7" dia trim?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Landlocked, I was thinking of using the Grote light for my 2013 SE. Was it easy to connect the wiring? Is it simply removing the old one and then plugging in this one or do I have to re-wire the harness? I'm looking for something that is plug n play cause I'm not good with electrical. Also, I assume that I can use the same headlight bucket and front 7" dia trim?
For my Adventurer it was a straight change out with standard H4 ( 3 prong ) plug, in fact the plug in on Grote is a pigtail so it fit in the bucket easier than the old one. There is also an plug adapter thats included.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
For my Adventurer it was a straight change out with standard H4 ( 3 prong ) plug, in fact the plug in on Grote is a pigtail so it fit in the bucket easier than the old one. There is also an plug adapter thats included.
Thanks. Sounds like it will work then cause the Bonneville uses an H4 bulb as stock.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I used an LED conversion for a couple of years in my America. When it failed prematurely I went back to a H-4 halogen. My priority was daytime visibility so I went with a yellow bulb. It is a Ford Motorcraft part # 48885. Plugs right in any H-4 socket. Legal ? I am more concerned with staying alive than legality. About $20 on Ebay. ...J.D.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts