Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Goffy is offering an LED headlight bulb with a fitting compatible with the H4 QH bulb but drawing just 25w and allegedly equivalent to a 70w QH with a whiter light.

From a pure "being seen" point of view, i'd be interested in fitting one to my old turd. Durability is an unknown, given the vibration we experience.

Anyone here fitted one of these? RR :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Been waiting for one of these to come out. May have to get one to test it out. cost?

Who/where/what is Goffy? Google cannot find......

GN

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Retro my good friend - so good to hear from you!

I'm doing fine for a 73 year old, but can't run my 10k's anymore, darn it. Result is about 20 lbs. of blubber - where it goes on those of us of the male SEX (NOT using gender, and the word, though politically correct, is technically INCORRECT!). But I'd rather have it there than in my butt or thighs! I'm healthy and in pretty good shape, no real health issues. My "oink-oink" pig aortic valve is at 90% of new (9 years ago), so I'm happy about that. I still do 4+ mile fast walks regularly, grateful for my life. My wife still loves me and puts up with me (maybe more of the latter than the former) after 45 years, still hang with our 8 kids, so all is good!

We've been nothing but rain here since end of April, but hope tomorrow to take the Trident & Bonnie out for rides......

How are you and the land of Oz?

GN

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
I find that most LED lamps just will not give a satisfactory beam as the lamp has to match up with the reflector and the shaping of the glass. I will be very surprised if you get a good result. Pete from dynamoregulatorconversions has been developing a suitable positive earth LED lamp but not tried it out. I have one of his rear lamps which is now over 3 years old. My Paul Goff front lamp in normal halogen lasted all of 2 weeks before the spot welds holding it together shattered. Now using a quality car halogen lamp which does stay together a lot better.
I will be interested to see if Goffs lamp is just fit and it all focuses in any one of about 10 headlight/reflector combinations.

·
Super Moderator
11,428 Posts
Hi,

Goffy is offering an LED headlight bulb
Some things you might want to be aware of:-

. Looking at Goffy's 'comparison' picture:-

.. As standard, '71/'72 has a 'flatback' headlamp shell; a H4 3-spade plug on the end of a bulb in a lens/reflector will fit, but the plug should be one with the wires at right-angles to the terminals ('flag' terminals), not the one on the right of Goffy's picture - the rubber 'bathtub' bends those wires too sharply. Also you need a 'bathtub' with two wiring inlets and use the lower one, or either plug type bends those wires too. :(

.. Even if you've upgraded to a '73-on 'half-egg' shell, a H4 3-spade plug on the end of a bulb in a lens/reflector is still right in the back corner and still needs a plug with 'flag' terminals, because otherwise the shell bends those wires too sharply. :Darn

.. So I'm intrigued to know how the fattest part of Goffy's LED 'bulb' fits in those spaces ...

. Bear in mind that, if your expectations aren't the same as Goffy ... errr ... requires ... his 'customer service' can be legendary ... :whistle Personally, I'd sooner deal with Pete, aka http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/online-shop-for-led-bulbs-and-light-boards-etc.php.

. Imho, Goffy's claim - "If we say that the light output of a normal H4 is 60/55W, then these are about 70/60," - is weird; if you buy Philips Xtreme, Osram Nightbreakers, etc., they're already claiming light equivalent to 90W, for a lot less money than Goffy wants to relieve you of ...

From a pure "being seen" point of view,
Mmmm ... this is a problem with newer (better) headlamps ...

The primary purpose of a headlamp lens/reflector should be to focus the light from the bulb so you can see ahead at night. But, by definition, if the headlamp's good a focussing the light into a well-directed beam ahead, if you aren't seen 'til the other road user's almost in front of you, it's a bit late ...

If Lucas BPF bulbs weren't so crap, Lucas BPF lens/reflectors would be 'good' for "being seen" because they're crap at focussing the light, but that doesn't really help the rider see at night ... :Not again ... which I think is quite important in Oz owing to the amount of wildlife without any road-sense?

Ime, for "being seen", you're better off relying on the pilot bulb - because it's off the focal point of any good lens/reflector, it projects light in a wide arc both horizontally and vertically. Standard pilot bulbs tend to be useless because they're low-powered, I've used 20W quartz-halogen ones for several decades or there are several sources (including Goffy) of low Watts but bright LED pilot bulbs. Or I know certainly "rambo" adds "Eagle Eye" LED from eBay as additional riding lights?

Certainly I'd select a new headlamp lens/reflector chiefly for its ability to help me see at night, rather than hope it'll help me "be seen"; there are other bulbs/lamps that do the latter better. :)

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
The eagle eye LED lamps,i use as day running lights and they fit into the pilot lamp hole easily. These can be around 10 watts of LED power and very bright. They are no use as a headlight to see where you might be going though,so the halogen standard lamp is used for seeing.
have a play with eagle eye lamps which come with a black and red wire so suitable for any polarity bike or car. In many colours and i also use orange ones as warning lights that i have indicators running. These ones are about 9 watt and blindingly bright.
I use red ones at 3 watts for additional brake lights on all the bikes. Just search eagle eye led lamp on ebay to see how they look and how you might use them.

·
Super Moderator
21,920 Posts
Insane price for Chinese LED that can be had on AliExpress for a FRACTION of that price
(well this is EBay in US but note $20 USD for a PAIR!!!)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-H4-HB...=59&_sacat=0&_nkw=H4+LED+bulb&_from=R40&rt=nc

Better to purchase a complete LED lamp module (Lens assembly) rather than trying to retrofit an H4 'bulb' - although you may wish to preserve a more OEM look, vs the LED 'Dalek' types :D

Either a genuine JWSpeaker Daymaker or a Chinese rip-off
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Motorc...539116?hash=item590b0dbd2c:g:aNIAAOSwLnBX9Hzx

(you can also buy these as a complete lamp assembly already in a headlight shell - black or chrome as you fancy)

I agree with @StuartMac - just a better quality incandescent bulb would be a good option if you wish to retain std Lens/reflector

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I bought a headlamp bulb from Paul Goff. A 6v 36/36w halogen lamp with the "British Pre-Focus" mounting for my '55 AJS. Try as I might, I couldn't get the thing to focus properly. Then a mate pointed out the obvious... The bulb was mounted upside down. The reflector and glass were mounted correctly... The glass has "TOP" moulded into it and the pilot light aperture at the bottom. The flange on the bulb with the locating 'notch' was 180° out. I filed a new notch into the flange opposite the original one, put the bulb back and hey presto... main and dip work as they should. Don't know if that was a one-off bad one or whether they were all like that but it confused the hell out of me for a bit!
John

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, Retro: Glad to see you posting a bit more. I hope all is well with you. Jim
All is good with me Jim thank you. Even better for that old '72 come'73, come 60 something old turd I ride, which has been running extremely well lately and not the least capricious. I guess I should be worried.....:laugh2:

Took the old tart for a speedo check run with the iPhone installed and able to confirm the MPH speedo indicator is very close to accurate still, after I make the conversion to KPH in my head. Reassuring to know when I have a copper tailing me. :laugh2:

Some interesting responses here re the headlamp. I never take the Trumpy out at night as the lens focus is extremely poor, with a weak amber glow radiating all of 20 feet ahead of the front tyre. Thus my comment about been seen as opposed to actually seeing.

I need to digest what the brethren have offered up here and come back with a decision of sorts. Keep well you old idiot and stay upright, OK? :wink2: RR

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you Stuart, informative as usual. Not ever riding the Trumpy at night, seeing is less an issue than being seen for me. We've discussed in the past the validity of brighter lights equals being seen and I am still of this opinion. :smile2:

BTW, will these '72 model alternators handle the 60/55w QH bulb?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with @StuartMac - just a better quality incandescent bulb would be a good option if you wish to retain std Lens/reflector
Thanks for references Bro. You make your point.

Whilst the whole headlamp debate has not been of much interest to me until recently, I can see how owners with different needs will want some of these alternatives. If my poor old alternator can handle a 60/55w QH, that may well be enough to suit my needs. :smile2: RR

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
After a never ending cycle of shattered filaments and burned out globes I fitted sealed beams to the Daytona and SR and I bonded them into the rim with silicone to isolate vibration and haven't had a problem since.

//ocr

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I realise that motor vehicle safety legislation is different and sometime non existent in other countries. However here in N/Z the powers that be have have recently made the use of after market HID and LED conversions illegal, irrespective of using a bulb, complete headlamp assembly, proper beam pattern etc. As one of the Mugs that now has to enforce this new rule I can tell you that people are not that happy when you tell then they have to remove that expensive bit of kit.

Just something that may be worth looking into before shelling out your hard earned.

Rod

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After a never ending cycle of shattered filaments and burned out globes I fitted sealed beams to the Daytona and SR and I bonded them into the rim with silicone to isolate vibration and haven't had a problem since.

//ocr
Good thinking 99. :laugh2::laugh2:

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Here are a selection of uses for eagle eye LEDs on my own bikes. I also use a strip of lamps on the T120r. The BSA,so it still looks original,has one fitted in the pilot lamp hole using an ice white type colour.The two modern bikes have them as additional side lamps and one bike has an extra pair fitted for brakelight. The new Triumph rear lights are too small for my idea of safety.
These LEDs look glary in the photos as they have an odd effect on cameras. They come with about 18inches of twin cored wire. Usually sold from China. You might get one fail in a short time but most will work for years. I also have them drilled into the garage wall as outside lights powered by a battery charging by solar panel.
A 9watt white lamp is brighter than a standard halogen lamp to the eye but will not light up the road as it is a very wide scattered beam.
1.5 or 3 watt are ideal for rear light and brake light in red.
The orange one is a 9watt and blindingly bright so i never forget my indicator is on. I have left and right with the indicator warning.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here are a selection of uses for eagle eye LEDs on my own bikes. will not light up the road as it is a very wide scattered beam.
1.5 or 3 watt are ideal for rear light and brake light in red.
The orange one is a 9watt and blindingly bright so i never forget my indicator is on. I have left and right with the indicator warning.
Thanks for this Rambo. Very informative.

I must have that 9w for my indicator tell tale as well. :laugh2:

The one in your hand. They come this way? And fit the shell holes?

In the head light, what LED array do you have in there?

Did you say they are operate with both + and - VE?

·
Super Moderator
11,428 Posts
Hi,

'72 model alternators handle the 60/55w QH bulb?
The $64,000 Question. If the rotor on your bike still has good magnetism, the battery's good and you keep the revs up most of time, plenty seem happy with them. Add a bright pilot lamp that gives a good spread of light, you have the option to turn off the headlamp to save battery/generated power but know you're still being seen. :thumb

Hth.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.